Solstice calibration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
071CE557-9491-4D1C-A0BB-43DE790FFA42.jpeg
I got my winter solstice set and marked the other day .
Now I have to wait for the summer solstice, to finish

I picked out a stained glass Christmas present for me from my wife to hang to mark the day .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice project! Things are going to look ^^^^^^ for us after the winter solstice!:D;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You always have such interesting projects @DrCase - I'm looking forward to the update in 6 months ;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since I started gardening, the solstices are very much on my mind during the year. I also will be looking forward for you update.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
8613D161-A2BF-40B2-A1DE-F9F3954212D7.jpeg
E200FE4C-E9AC-4E4C-82BE-36B6B4B6FE6D.jpeg

I made a copper frame for the stained glass this morning, so I can hang it
The glass is old and just leaded together

Is this you inner maya getting loose?

It’s been running awhile.

Nice project! Things are going to look ^^^^^^ for us after the winter solstice!:D;)

It’s looking up for us too

Wow, what a great idea @DrCase! (y)

Thanks Becky
It’s just another story to tell people .

You always have such interesting projects @DrCase - I'm looking forward to the update in 6 months ;).

Thanks Ian

Since I started gardening, the solstices are very much on my mind during the year. I also will be looking forward for you update.

I just like seeing how much the suns moves

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love stained glass! Especially when the sun shines through different coloured panes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
How interesting ! Can you please splain? I would love to be able to be able track the angle of the sun as it does have a huge effect on how my solar power collection is disrupted by nearby buildings.

Many thanks
Lori

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How interesting ! Can you please splain? I would love to be able to be able track the angle of the sun as it does have a huge effect on how my solar power collection is disrupted by nearby buildings.

Many thanks
Lori
Ok. I (me and my wife) went to a pyramid in Mexico where the pyramid was at 17 degrees off from a small square building on top. The Mayans had built the corner steps in such an ingenious way that a certain day made a shadow that told them to plant crops. Their are roghly 4 of these days per year. winter solstice is one if them. Summer solstice is a party at the Mayan temple. Its all about the Sun basically

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Aha, thank you @DirtMechanic . I think I need something a little different . I've just downloaded a suntracker app to play with and will use what I learn from it to figure out exactly what I do need... well, want. I don't really need much as I don't really grow anything I depend on for sustenance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

Many thanks
Lori

All I can say is stand on a stone in your back yard as soon as you can and mark were the sun rises right now.
It will still be close to the winter solstice you will be able to tweak it in less than a year .

Then sit back and wait for the summer solstice .

I only watch the sunrise

Ok. I (me and my wife) went to a pyramid in Mexico where the pyramid was at 17 degrees off from a small square building on top. The Mayans had built the corner steps in such an ingenious way that a certain day made a shadow that told them to plant crops. Their are roghly 4 of these days per year. winter solstice is one if them. Summer solstice is a party at the Mayan temple. Its all about the Sun basically

The Mayan pyramid I climbed sent the solstice sun down the steps like a snake .
They were amazing workers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
All I can say is stand on a stone in your back yard as soon as you can and mark were the sun rises right now.
It will still be close to the winter solstice you will be able to tweak it in less than a year .

Then sit back and wait for the summer solstice .

I only watch the sunrise

The Mayan pyramid I climbed sent the solstice sun down the steps like a snake .
They were amazing workers
We were at the same place. The open mouth of the descending snake represented their fertility god. Why? dunno. And why a snake? And was it not the coolest to find out the odd steepness of the corner steps was to design the shadow of the snake scales on the carved stone rails as the sun indicated the time to plant? A big big clock really- and they party when it strikes time! Did you go inside to see the pyramid inside the pyramid? Crazy!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Aha, thank you @DirtMechanic . I think I need something a little different . I've just downloaded a suntracker app to play with and will use what I learn from it to figure out exactly what I do need... well, want. I don't really need much as I don't really grow anything I depend on for sustenance :)
You can use a disc with a vertical stick and mark the angle of the sun. The stick shadow should not be outside your disc, the center from which the vertical stick stands. A winter solstice vs a summer solstice will have a 20 degree difference roughly but because you are farther north your shadows will be longer. Remember the Romans were much further south italy wise so the shape of their sundials reflectect their proximity to the equator. Canadien style has more angle. It is just as accurate of course, once you adjust for the eh?

Ask a Question