Solstice calibration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sounds like a fun project. Now if only the sun would break through the clouds!
I think knowing the summer solstice angle is a big deal, because when I am planting in the winter quarter or early spring, I can easily get my shadows wrong in layered height plants and slow the growth I would have otherwise expected

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@DirtMechanic that makes good sense. Getting the height graduation incorrect has been a bitter learning curve for me.

I think I need to sit and make notes about what day of the year, the house next door stops impeding the sun from reaching my little greenhouses at the west side. Probably more of an exercise in satisfying my curiosity because I won't be moving them but it might be the decider about when to move the pepper plants out to them.

I guess too, with gardening outside at a standstill due to freezing temps, I'm getting restless and casting about for things to amuse me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic that makes good sense. Getting the height graduation incorrect has been a bitter learning curve for me.

I think I need to sit and make notes about what day of the year, the house next door stops impeding the sun from reaching my little greenhouses at the west side. Probably more of an exercise in satisfying my curiosity because I won't be moving them but it might be the decider about when to move the pepper plants out to them.

I guess too, with gardening outside at a standstill due to freezing temps, I'm getting restless and casting about for things to amuse me :)
I use stakes and other markers. Sometimes you have to be sneaky because if I leave a flag up with no plant near it Becky will snatch it up in a burst of beautification and I lose several months of angle.

Ask a Question