Soil Composition for a garden

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So this purpose of this thread is to try and figure out what would be the best soil composition for my garden.
I live in eastern tennensee where most of the "soil" is actually red clay

I do have a compost pile started and I was hoping to mix that into my clay soil when I rototill my garden. For more information on what is in the compost and pictures, refer to this link

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/first-time-composter-need-help.10740/

I was planning on doing a 60 foot by 20 foot garden (more than triple my last) I had had decent luck just throwing in a bag of organic fertilizer and peat moss and calling it a day. I am looking into grabbing 2-3 bags of vermiculture and just compost pile. I am worried about proper drainage since the soil is clay

The rototiller being used is on the back of a tractor, so it will break up the ground into a more standard dirt like consistency.

I plan on growing onions, tomato, cucumber, peppers, beans, squash.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
Gardeners like to look so closely at the trees that they forget the forest exists. Sounds like you're already on the right track. I wouldn't worry about a specific soil mix Focus on breaking up that clay as deep as you can. Your roto-tiller will do a great job at that! I live in Mississippi so I know your struggle, but I had to do mine by hand. Just keep tilling in your compost. The soil will improve year by year. When I moved into my house four years ago I had awful soil. I've been piling grass clippings, compost, and fallen leaves on everything every year, and now I have pretty good soil. Just give it time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great. Ill will work in probably a bag or two or peat moss because I really like the properties it add's to the clay type soil.

I usually till up my soil twice. I do it once as a prepping tilling. I usually add my peat moss and compost then let it sit for about a month before I garden. I was going to throw in a couple of red worms after I till and let them do some magic too.

I then like to till the day of or before I actually plant my garden

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you can find some pine needles to throw in before you till, it will help combat the clay. They used to think the needles made the soil acidic, but that's been proven wrong. (y)

Mulch with some straw (or grass clippings, or pine needles,) then let it sit 'til you till it in next year. The more you can get in there that is not clay, the better your soil will be.

Since the pine needles take so long to decompose, and are springy in nature, they will help with soil porosity, and loosen the clay a bit. :)

Reaction score
Well I've chopped down my only pine tree, since I generally consider them to be worthless and more of a problem than anything.

So as long as I keep working the soil and adding in nutrients, it's going to improve considerabley over time

Ask a Question