Small garden ideas?

Reaction score
Hello! I am in Columbus OH and I am trying to plan for next year's growing season. I live in an apartment so we don't have garden space, but I do have a small plot in a community garden. This last summer I planted tomatoes (several different varieties), peppers and carrots. My carrots never came up, not sure what I did wrong. My peppers did ok, but they were tiny and my tomatoes did ok. I have access to be able to water them regularly and did in the beginning, but the garden still didn't come out as well as I hoped.

My space is about 8 feet long and only about 2 feet wide. I know I crammed way too many tomato plants together, so next year I will cut that back. I would love to have some cucumbers and zucchini, but I don't know if that would be possible in the small space? Maybe if I have a trellis of some sort?

Any ideas for vegetables that will make the most out of my small space?

Reaction score
If you are short of space, get those plants which climb. Things like cucumber and a number of beans. Of course, you will need a trellis to provide the support. If bamboo is handy, it would make a good trellis. Alternatively you can make a very simple one using some rigid wire mesh.

Jed

Reaction score
Carrots can be difficult. If you surface sow using a half or third bucket of sand and add the seed to the bucket throwing over the area you intend to seed or just drop a continuous lines say six inches apart. The sand helps to spread the packet of seed. Water well and then put on top some old carpet checking every day to see if the seed has sprouted. Once it has, take off the carpet and ensure you keep them moist on hot days.Carrots don't need too much rich soil or otherwise they will fork out or grow more top then root.

Reaction score
Do you have a balcony with good sun exposure? If so then I would move the tomatoes to buckets and grow them there. They can get really big and I would use your small garden space for other veggies.

If may want to look into more of a square foot gardening method. You could probably use the method even if you plant in the ground instead of making raised beds, but with making a square system you can grow so much more in a small space. Like carrots, you plant 16 in one square foot.
Which direction is your plot facing? As in, which side is north?

If one of your long sides in north then I would put a trellis at the back edge and plant climbers just under the trellis.That way the climbers do not block the sun from the lower non climbers.

North (the line is the trellis) (each is one square ft making it 8ftx2ft)

carrot carrot carrot carrot radish radish radish radish

It would be easier to understand by doing one of these. http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KGPJS

Reaction score
In the UK you can buy what are called "Grow Bags". I'm sure you must be able to get them in the US. Like an ordinary compost bag that you split and mix with your soil these you make small slits in and add your tomatoes, peppers or cucumbers and grow either in a corner of your plot or on the balcony. Not a good idea to mix your plants though as the taste seems to spread from one plant to the other. Three or four plants in each bag should provide more than enough fruit when you want them.

Reaction score
I am a big proponent of any squash or zucchini. They do take some space but with even 2 or so plants you will get a great yield. They are easy to grow and not temperamental. I will try to upload a picture, but mine grow mammoth (and perhaps you could trade with your neighbors if you get too many) As to the other suggestions above, they are good ones, but I would go with more of the high yield plants. As to that apartment, consider a window herb garden and yes, if a patio, you can do well with a container tomato or other plant and save that plot for more. Good luck
061313153707.jpeg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
One reason your plants may not have grown to the size you were hoping for could be the condition of the soil they were planted in. Water and sun are not the only things that need to be taken into consideration when planting. Add compost or fertilizer to the soil to make it richer to support the plants you are growing. Some plants leach out the nutrients in the soil during the growing season making it necessary to replenish the soil for the next planting season. Rotate what grows in each spot from time to time. In the old south they found out the hard way how a plant can make the condition of the soil poor to the point nothing will grow. The growth of cotton in the same spot for years caused very serious damage to many cotton growers in the south.

Reaction score
If you can trellis plants up then go for it! Remember squash is a crazy grower and will eat a lot of your space, even on your trellis. Cherry tomatoes can be grown in five gallon buckets and they do quite well as long as they get watered. When my tomatoes start to set I give them a double hit of Miracle Gro in the water and that really gets them inspired! Peppers can be grown in pots as well as long as they have a good size pot, water, and fertilizer. Depending on the type of tomatoes that you put in the ground remember that they do take up space so stake them up as much as you can. A lot of garden problems are due to less than healthy soil. County and state agricultural extensions offer test kits that you send your soil to them and have it tested for a nominal price. If the soil is lousy then chances are your yield will be less than inspiring.

Ask a Question