Potato Production in Small gardens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The methods of depicting potato production is not particularly informative. Comparing so many tons of seed to what is produced might be useful for a large producer but almost useless for a small grower.

For example I grow less than 100 plants. Over the last few years I have been weighing the production from each plant and keeping records. I have found anything over four pounds per plant to be acceptable. The range is from 2 to 8 pounds per plant.

Then after production weigh,t there is other characteristics to consider. Texture, no hollow centers, smooth skin, variety of reasonable sizes, no knobby protrusions on the surface, eyes not deep,to name from memory.

I have discovered anybody can grow potatoes but to produce QUALITY takes some effort and care. And if the years climate is lousy the potato crop will not be up to par. One year my harvest was so poor I couldn't discard them fast enough.

This is an example of what I consider poor production.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GPFJO 8 September 2014 Viking Potato Harvest
Fifteen pounds of Viking potatoes were dug today. There were eleven plants. The yield was 1.4 pounds average per plant. The quality was excellent, but the yield should be four pounds or more for a good harvest. Cool weather probably inhibited quantity somewhat.
URL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They look excellent quality potatoes, no scab*, which redskins are susceptible to.
Here, for first-early potatoes, grown between Feb and July, usually, 2lbs is an average yield, although, with the extra pampering they get from me, I often get 3lbs per seed. Usually 10-13 weeks maturity within this period)
Second earlies, grown usually between April and August, 4lbs and upwards, dependant upon the cultivar, is acceptable. (15-17weeks)
Maincrop potatoes, grown from late April until first frosts, I'd hope for 5lbs+ per plant, unless it was a cultivar like Pink Fir Apple, which has much smaller yields. (18-22 weeks+)
If you grow potatoes in pots, it is advisable to knock off 1/3 of those yields.
That's in my part of the UK. Again, our light levels may suppress yields.

*I often risk scab by using woodash, which is a liming agent, to deter slugs, and am prepared to accept a little, rather than let them ruin my crop.
I've seen lads almost in tears at the allotments, throwing away 3/4 of a good crop to slug and wire-worm damage.

Ask a Question