Small corner for the little ones

Reaction score
For garden owners with kids, do you have a special little corner for your children? I asked because, my four year old is now fond of helping me out in the garden, and as much as I want to appreciate the deed, he ends up ruining my work. We would fight all the time! So to avoid it, I am planning to have his little corner. So he has a garden of his own. What do you think?

Reaction score
I don't have kids but my parents always made me my own flower bed to play with as a child. My mom had nice orderly beds that she worked on. I was given seeds or seedlings, depending on the supplies we had at the time. My dad would break up the earth for me and remove any major obstacles, but leave some for me work on. He would put a border around it, usually bricks or natural rocks to hold the dirt in place. This was in the Carolinas and there were always rocks around! I remember cleaning out chopped up grass roots and sticks and other stuff.

Then Mom would show me how to enrich the dirt by adding soil and fertilizers, I guess that's what it was, I was just playing and didn't read the bags, lol! Anyway, Mom showed me how to plant the flower seeds or seedlings but then left me alone to do it. Then we would go out once or twice week and pull weeds and make sure things were growing well. If there were pests my parent would handle the pesticides, as I recall. The flowers (zinnias, marigolds, sunflowers) usually bloomed pretty well and it was great fun.

I forgot that I also had my own "row" in the family vegetable garden and I would plant tomatoes, onions and potatoes, I recall. Again, we went out together to tend it a couple of times per week, after school.

I think my mom cheated and would work on my areas when I wasn't around, but, hey, she taught me how to dig in the dirt and grow a few things, so I am thankful! :)

Reaction score
I just began thinking of this idea myself. My son has a clubhouse on a bare piece of land. I thought about planting around the place to spruce it up a little. I'm picturing charming pyramid-shaped cages full of beans, strawberries, hosta, lamb' ear and lavender. I'd do anything to keep him out of my garden spaces.

Reaction score
Thanks for giving me great ideas! I talked about this with my husband but he is not thrilled with the idea of me giving our son his own little garden. For him, gardening is not so manly, and allowing my son to garden is like pushing him away from the manly stuff like plumbing, fixing the car, and so on. I have told him that gardening does not actually reflect sexual reference, and our four year old is just having fun, but he said it is like giving him a Barbie rather than toy cars and toy guns. I AM CONFUSED and really FRUSTRATED of his way of thinking, and the rebellious side of me says I have to do it on my own, provide a small garden for my son all by myself, without me seeking for his help. Afterall, it is my little one's happiness I am concerned about and not his crooked way of thinking.

*sorry, just venting out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Personally, I don't see anything unmanly in gardening. Also, it teaches patience and responsibility so in my opinion it's a perfect activity for a child. If I had a little boy, I'd definitely let him take care of a few plants. It's a great encouragement to play outside the house and breathe fresh air. Talk to your husband again, I hope he'll change his mind:)

Reaction score
you need to put a manlier spin on it.

like make a framed out club house out of chicken wire or latticework to help him plant vines and shrubs to grow up on it, so he'll have a place to hide when the zombie apocolyspe happens. or plant some foods he likes in his own hidden spot. tomatoes, strawberries or whatever so he can subsist in the back yard when the poopie hits the fan. he'll be daddy's little prepper.

<menancing voice> what you call the backyard, he calls home <menacing voice>

Reaction score
That is so cute that you are doing that. Your little one is sure to cherish the memories of doing such a thing with you, and he will also love having his own little spot in your garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
+1 Philphine - Your idea sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Isn't farming considered manly? Let him grow a small crop of tomatoes, instead of frilly flowers.

Ask a Question