Small buds on different plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! We recently had two different plants that frozen in an early snow... and we recently noticed these small green, rose-shaped buds growing at the base of both plants. Any idea what these are?! (If they are the plant trying to regrow, don’t hate me for asking! I’m brand new to planting! Haha)

thanks!!

Attachments

• A24F9708-94B0-4F24-BB55-5FCF86D6C4DB.jpeg
    A24F9708-94B0-4F24-BB55-5FCF86D6C4DB.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 75
  • CCDAF81B-7BCA-4DB7-9167-F960981BBCDB.jpeg
    CCDAF81B-7BCA-4DB7-9167-F960981BBCDB.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome. :) Your plants are Sedum 'Spectabile' - common name Ice Plant. Bees and butterflies love them when they are in flower, usually from late Summer through Autumn depending on your climate. The buds you see at the base are new shoots that will start to grow fully next Spring. The old shoots can be removed when they have died back.

Sedum (1).JPG

Sedum (2).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome. :) Your plants are Sedum 'Spectabile' - common name Ice Plant. Bees and butterflies love them when they are in flower, usually from late Summer through Autumn depending on your climate. The buds you see at the base are new shoots that will start to grow fully next Spring. The old shoots can be removed when they have died back.

View attachment 73694

View attachment 73695
Thank you!!!! Yes, that is the exact flower in my first picture. We just moved into a new home and inherited a bunch of plants, so we only caught the tail end, but they looked exactly like that.
They are currently in a shallow, “frost-resistant” planter, but if they’re great for bees & butterflies, I’d love to make them a permanent resident! Would you recommend leaving them in the small planter through the winter, or replanting them now before the ground freezes?

Grateful for you help!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Would you recommend leaving them in the small planter through the winter, or replanting them now before the ground freezes?

There is no reason why you can't replant them now, it will allow them to establish their roots ready for the new growing season. When they eventually produce flowers they become quite top heavy so they tend to need support or they collapse. I threaded some twine around the stems to keep them upright but a frame would be better. :)

Ask a Question