Radish help - small straight root

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hi all,

My first attempt at growing radish from seed has proved mixed results.

I'm now well over the packet-suggested 25 day harvest time. I've harvested a few small 'cherry sized' and a couple of nice large ones.

But mainly I have just the straight roots as shown in the attached picture with good foliage.

Any help as to where I might have gone wrong? Direct sewn, I don't feel they were too close together, around 2" spacing as per the packet. Ample watering, raised bed with lots of organic compost and Trifecta + added in the spring (5-10-4). A good 6 - 7 hours sun.

Also, shall I just pull all these up and put this crop down to a loss? It feels like they aren't going to fatten up into a good radish shape now!

Thanks,
Thomas.

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Radish are about the easiest veggie to grow...but they do need relatively cool temperatures. I noticed you are in zone 10b...that's generally too hot for radishes except fall and winter. I can only grow them here in zone 8 in fall/winter....just too hot otherwise for them to make a bulb.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Radish are about the easiest veggie to grow...but they do need relatively cool temperatures. I noticed you are in zone 10b...that's generally too hot for radishes except fall and winter. I can only grow them here in zone 8 in fall/winter....just too hot otherwise for them to make a bulb.
Ah ok, that would be it then! On top of a zone 10b summer we had a record heatwave!

I'll wait for it to cool down further and give them another go.

Thanks!

Ask a Question