Should one buy gardening apparel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gold leaf tough touch gloves, they are dear, but they are flexible enough that you can weed in them and tough enough to cope with the roughest jobs, and will last for ages. Apart from that I just wear old clothes I don't mind getting dirty and put boots on if I am digging or doing something on a rough piece of ground with rubbish on it. A broken off side stick can go straight through the sole of a pair of sneakers, and a spade or fork will break the sole across if you do much digging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Retired now, out goes my administration /managers clothes. All I have left is comfort/garden/walking/vacation clothes. a few select pieces in case we "have" to go fancy somewhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My day to day clothes for wear around the house are what I call "scruff." Old chinos, golf shirts and sweaters.

This means, when I decide to do a bit in the garden, (which is often on the spur of the moment) I can go out in what I'm wearing.
When I come in, these clothes go into the wash and I put on "clean scruff." This can happen twice a day, if I start in the morning and want to do more after lunch. I do keep a pair of old golf "wet" trousers in the shed, if I'm likely to be doing a lot of kneeling on soggy grass or earth.

If I'm going shopping, I put on some decent clothes. However, if I'm working in the garden and decide I need something from the DIY shop in the village at that moment, I go as I am, much to my wife's disgust.
I have a neighbour of a similar age, who has the same attitude. I've occasionally met in the DIY shop over the years, both wearing our "scruff."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The other day, husband was working on his car and had to take me to get my car that was in just for an oil change. On the way up he said "oh gosh he needs to stop and get gas in his car and was in his scruffy clothes, he said he does not like to stop and get gas in his "car clothes". I said, why not, at the price of gas, folks would say your just slumming it. LOL. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Old man Blake was out in his garden when my friends drove by. I have seen men traumatized before and I knew they were actually shocked. I guess Mr Blake was in his seventies then. It was a blasting hot Alabama summer, around the July 4th holiday and the tomatoes were up. He had on these bright yellow mid calf rubber boots, the kind construction guys favor, and a straw hat, and a black speedo. They don't make them like him anymore.

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
You have to be a gentleman everywhere, the dress code requires it.
Old+occupation+of+_jardinier_+or+gardener+in+New+France.jpeg
3718dcafaae7520cf9ff8d38db741f1d--gardening-books-farm-life.jpg
1919b7d091e4b0d074db63c97e20fb19--geranium-vintage-pictures.jpg
00d7fccd0a0a308bf09a370ace6d4dc6--business-centre-the-gardener.jpg
8c4bf4723d3f2ddaa0db2df214344091--work-aprons-cute-aprons.jpg
96f96feaff53398e6111384ceb4ed4dd--country-living-country-life.jpg
0728353b288449f259bc6f0248f91052.jpg
eababd6186192a200dd251ad5b2e3db4.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nobody pictured could handle 125f like Mr Blake. English channel fashions are those of persons expecting cool weather. The never have served the lower latitudes and I find them silly. But also the reality of ionizing radiation like uv light requires skin to be covered. Two horns on a dilemma...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody pictured could handle 125f like Mr Blake. English channel fashions are those of persons expecting cool weather. The never have served the lower latitudes and I find them silly. But also the reality of ionizing radiation like uv light requires skin to be covered. Two horns on a dilemma...
In the distant past when all was not mechanical I had occasional employment at harvest time doing stuff like loading bales. The older farm workers would turn up dressed in corduroy trousers tucked into thick socks with boots, with a thick shirt and solid jacket. There would also be a few holiday makers in flip-flops, shorts and a tee-shirt. At the end of the day the holiday makers would have sore feet and be bitten all over, getting a bit warm on a late summer's day can be preferable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In the distant past when all was not mechanical I had occasional employment at harvest time doing stuff like loading bales. The older farm workers would turn up dressed in corduroy trousers tucked into thick socks with boots, with a thick shirt and solid jacket. There would also be a few holiday makers in flip-flops, shorts and a tee-shirt. At the end of the day the holiday makers would have sore feet and be bitten all over, getting a bit warm on a late summer's day can be preferable.
Here the very thin tropical weight long sleeve shirt and thin weight trousers seems best to stave off sunburn and insect damage. And a wide brimmed straw hat of course.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Serious gardeners I hear must dress up for the job — some special dungarees or coveralls, gloves of some kind, etc. Seeing that I don't have a large garden with pointy things that will pierce my skin, I'm wondering if buying myself gardening clothing would be of any value.

If there's no risk of getting injured by anything, should one dress up in special gardening attire before they start doing some work in their gardens?
I get gardening clothes from charity shops or boot sales, or use my own clothes once they’re no longer looking their best. The only thing worth spending money on are good gloves, a sun hat, some wellies and maybe some knee protectors. Everything else is a gimmick.

Ask a Question