Should I put these plants out of their misery?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I planted these potatoes in pots in the beginning of April, and I doubt their even doing anything. It’s 100degF everyday here in Houston and will probably be for the next couple months. There’s also a beefsteak tomato plant that’s just been put through the Texas wringer lol. Every leaf is curled and one tomato made it through that’s just klinging for dear life until it ripens.

Should I just ditch these so I can use their 5gallon pots for something else? Does anyone even grow potatoes in south Texas?

8913803F-72B6-4ADF-BC27-81952834AE1A.jpeg

AA27E0F8-ABBD-4AAE-A4DD-D3B234737972.jpeg

And the tomato plant…
221EA217-666A-4C42-86AE-A00464841644.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They don't look amazing. Potatoes generally like light and warmth on the top part of the plant, but like cool, moist roots. Black pots stood in the sun will not be good for them. Next time try planting two or three potatoes in a couple of inches in the bottom of the pot and fill it as they grow, earthing them up, and stand something white in front of the pot to keep the sun off it. Someone local can probably advise you about the best season better than I, but think 'Ireland' as a great potato growing country, north, but not too far north, with 'soft' rainy days sweeping in from the Atlantic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On the tomato if you will wait until it is in the white stage it will be a much tastier tomato and guaranteed to ripen off of the vine perfectly. The tomato is now still in its green stage. It will probably still ripen off of the vine but it will not be as tasty. It is fairly close to the white stage because the green color of the main body of the fruit is lightning somewhat. I would give it no more than 2 weeks. It will literally turn a whitish color and after a few more days it will start showing shades of pink which are called first blush. Just keep it well watered. Go ahead and pull the potatoes as they won't do anything. In Houston you can plant them late winter or as soon as the soil temperature is 45-50 degrees. If you do get a late freeze it will just burn the tops but it will regrow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best way to water a fabric pot is with a hose turned down really really low, just barely a trickle for about 30-45 minutes. Put the water at the base of the plant

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Should I just ditch these so I can use their 5gallon pots for something else? Does anyone even grow potatoes in south Texas?
Yes, and yes. I've grown potatoes around here for more decades than I can remember. Plant the eyes about Valentine's day and Harvest the new potatoes before Memorial Day when the vines turn brown. Very good chance you will be successful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes, and yes. I've grown potatoes around here for more decades than I can remember. Plant the eyes about Valentine's day and Harvest the new potatoes before Memorial Day when the vines turn brown. Very good chance you will be successful.
Have you ever planted fall potatoes? Some are saying you can plant in late August or September and squeeze a small harvest out before the first freeze (if it even freezes that is…)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
On the tomato if you will wait until it is in the white stage it will be a much tastier tomato and guaranteed to ripen off of the vine perfectly. The tomato is now still in its green stage. It will probably still ripen off of the vine but it will not be as tasty. It is fairly close to the white stage because the green color of the main body of the fruit is lightning somewhat. I would give it no more than 2 weeks. It will literally turn a whitish color and after a few more days it will start showing shades of pink which are called first blush. Just keep it well watered. Go ahead and pull the potatoes as they won't do anything. In Houston you can plant them late winter or as soon as the soil temperature is 45-50 degrees. If you do get a late freeze it will just burn the tops but it will regrow
Will do! Yeah I’ve been keeping an eye on it… I’ve heard that during the hot months when tomatoes can’t set fruit that people will just remove the flowers as they form. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don’t know if it’d be causing the plant a ton of stress (of course the real remedy would be to not have any growing during this time).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Will do! Yeah I’ve been keeping an eye on it… I’ve heard that during the hot months when tomatoes can’t set fruit that people will just remove the flowers as they form. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don’t know if it’d be causing the plant a ton of stress (of course the real remedy would be to not have any growing during this time).
The flowers will just fall off anyway but perhaps removing them could be of slight benefit, for what I don't know, but it won't hurt anything. During the heat of out summers it is difficult to keep a tomato plant alive. Not only because of the heat, but because of early blight and spider mites.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Have you ever planted fall potatoes? Some are saying you can plant in late August or September and squeeze a small harvest out before the first freeze (if it even freezes that is…)
Yes, I often use my left-over small new potatoes from spring harvest as seed potatoes in the fall. The results are never as good as Feb. planted potatoes, but certainly better than nothing....and is a good use of those small new potatoes.

Ask a Question