Should I get climbing roses or bush roses for large containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy 4 bare root roses from the suttons site and plant them in large deep containers so I can bring them indoors if need be, I've heard that climbing roses are the best option for longer lasting flowers is that correct? Specifically I'm looking for a long lasting flowering period and reasonably strong fragrance, should I try 2 climbing and 2 bush each, thanks

Also the roses have a value number beside them like "scent 9" is that based on the strength of their scent like scent 9 being the strongest fragrance?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
You might find this useful

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=278

I think it also gives the depth of the compost

Climbers and ramblers
  • R. Laura Ford = 'Chewarvel' AGM (climber)
  • R. Nice Day = 'Chewsea' AGM (climber)
  • R. 'Phyllis Bide' AGM (rambler)

Thanks I will look into those, can you tell me what the scent number means on some sites that sell roses, like it will say "scent 9" or "scent 6" is that how strong the fragrance is? Like scent 9 being the strongest? Or does it mean something else

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to bring them indoors, climbing roses will be a bit of a problem unless you don't mind cutting all the stems off.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If I were a plant, I would like to be free range .. not caged in a trough. But you might be very good with your compost and always remember to water your plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Why would you need to bring them in? Climbers are very hardy. Couldn't tell you what variety I have (it's been in the ground 17 yrs now), but it just keeps blooming all summer long, and gets little attention from me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Look at Floribunda's Panda. They are hardy and have multiple flowers on single stems. They will flower right through to late autumn if you dead head them.

Floribunda 'Lucky! '
Rose 'Lucky!' (3).JPG

Ask a Question