Should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_4623.jpg

Should I take it out? Cover it up? What has caused this sweet potato to go the wrong direction?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You don't really make your question very clear, and I can't make out what you mean from the picture either ???

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't really make your question very clear, and I can't make out what you mean from the picture either ???
The pic is a sweet potato which is half out of the soil. I'm not that familiar with growing sweet potatoes, but I've never seen one grow like that. I'm wondering if I should cover it up with more soil, take it out, or....what? Sorry for not being clear and thanks for letting me know!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never grown these before, but I believe they grow on a vine which likes to sprawl on top of the ground. The fruits of this are clearly the roots. I wonder if the original slips may have been planted too high? I think they should be planted about six inches down.
I don't expect this will be very helpful, but would be interested to see what someone else thinks - someone like @Meadowlark .

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have never grown them but I asked my AI buddy to educate me on sweet potatoes and this is what it told me:

Certainly, here's an educational overview about sweet potatoes:

**Sweet Potatoes: A Fascinating Crop and How They Grow**

Sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) are a nutritious and versatile root vegetable that belong to the Convolvulaceae family. They are a staple in many cuisines around the world and are prized for their sweet flavor, vibrant colors, and impressive nutritional content. Sweet potatoes are not only delicious but also offer a range of health benefits, making them a valuable addition to any diet.

**Growth and Cultivation:**

Sweet potatoes are typically grown as underground tubers, which are specialized storage structures that store nutrients for the plant's growth. However, the growth of sweet potatoes involves both above-ground and below-ground components.

1. **Vine Growth:** Sweet potato plants are vigorous growers and produce sprawling vines that can cover significant areas. These vines are an essential part of the plant's growth cycle, as they create shade, help suppress weed growth, and aid in soil conservation.

2. **Root Development:** The edible part of the sweet potato plant is the underground storage root. This root develops from the slip, which is a small shoot that grows from the sweet potato. Farmers or gardeners typically start by planting slips, which are young plants derived from the sprouts of mature sweet potatoes.

**Above-Ground vs. Below-Ground Growth:**

The above-ground growth of sweet potatoes, represented by their lush vines and leaves, is crucial for the overall health of the plant. The vines produce energy through photosynthesis, which is then transported to the below-ground tubers for storage and growth.

However, the most well-known aspect of sweet potatoes is their below-ground growth—the development of the tubers. These tubers form as the plant's storage organs, accumulating starches, sugars, vitamins, and minerals. Sweet potatoes are known for their variation in colors, ranging from orange and yellow to purple and even white. Each color signifies the presence of specific nutrients and antioxidants.

**Cultivation Process:**

The cultivation of sweet potatoes involves a few key steps:

1. **Slip Production:** Slips are created by placing sweet potato roots in a warm, humid environment. The slips are then transplanted to the field.

2. **Planting:** The slips are planted in well-draining soil with adequate sunlight. They need sufficient spacing to allow for vine growth.

3. **Vine Development:** As the sweet potato plants grow, they develop sprawling vines with heart-shaped leaves. These vines help protect the tubers from direct sunlight.

4. **Harvesting:** Sweet potatoes are typically harvested after the vines have grown and started to die back. Careful digging is necessary to avoid damaging the tubers.

5. **Curing:** After harvesting, sweet potatoes are usually cured in a warm and humid environment for about a week. Curing allows the tubers to develop a sweeter taste and longer shelf life.

**In Conclusion:**

Sweet potatoes are a remarkable crop that undergoes both above-ground and below-ground growth. The lush vines play a crucial role in producing energy through photosynthesis, which is transported to the underground storage tubers. These tubers are rich in nutrients, making sweet potatoes not only a tasty addition to meals but also a valuable source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Whether enjoyed roasted, mashed, or in various dishes, sweet potatoes continue to captivate our taste buds and nourish our bodies.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I asked can it grow above ground? :

Yes, it's possible for the edible part of the sweet potato root to partially emerge above ground under certain conditions. This can occur due to various factors including soil composition, planting depth, and growing conditions.

Here are a few reasons why the edible part of the sweet potato root might grow above ground:

1. **Shallow Planting:** If the sweet potato slips are planted relatively close to the soil surface or if they're not covered with enough soil during planting, the tubers might start growing above ground.

2. **Loose Soil:** If the soil around the sweet potato plant is loose or sandy, the tubers might push their way through the soil surface as they grow.

3. **Improper Hilling:** Hilling is the practice of mounding soil around the base of the plant as it grows. If hilling is not done properly or if the plant is grown in loose soil, the tubers might push through the mound and become exposed.

4. **Moisture Variations:** Fluctuations in moisture levels can impact tuber growth. If there are periods of dry conditions followed by periods of heavy rain, the tubers might expand and push above the soil surface.

While it's not the typical growth pattern for sweet potatoes, a partially exposed tuber can still be harvested and consumed. However, if the exposed part of the tuber is not well-developed or is damaged, it might be best to harvest the sweet potato earlier to ensure it's of good quality.

To promote proper sweet potato growth and prevent tubers from growing above ground, make sure to plant slips at an appropriate depth, use well-draining soil, practice proper hilling techniques, and maintain consistent watering practices.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I figured I might as well boost my ego and ask my AI friend if I am awesome:

Absolutely! You're awesome for seeking knowledge and asking questions. Keep being curious and confident in yourself!

🤣

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You're welcome! If you have any more questions or just want to chat, feel free to reach out. Have a wonderful day! ❤️

Lol, let's see google do that!! 😆

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Should I take it out? Cover it up? What has caused this sweet potato to go the wrong direction?

No, don't take it out...let it continue to grow until just before first frost. I would try to make sure it doesn't get direct sunlight on the tuber, maybe cover it with vines if that is likely.

Why did it do this? Maybe it wasn't planted deep enough initially. I like to plant mine in raised rows. Some folks hill them. Another possibility is hard soil such as clay forcing the tuber up some. I know much of Missouri has rocky soil so it could be over a rock and not have room to grow except upward.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, don't take it out...let it continue to grow until just before first frost. I would try to make sure it doesn't get direct sunlight on the tuber, maybe cover it with vines if that is likely.

Why did it do this? Maybe it wasn't planted deep enough initially. I like to plant mine in raised rows. Some folks hill them. Another possibility is hard soil such as clay forcing the tuber up some. I know much of Missouri has rocky soil so it could be over a rock and not have room to grow except upward.
I noticed it when I was looking for squash so it's pretty well hidden from the sun. Also, since it's in a raised bed, I don't think rocks are an issue and I do have somewhat sandy soil. I just planted a few slips, but the vines have crazy growth I wasn't expecting. In any case, it's good to know I can just leave it alone and make sure it's shaded until time to harvest. So thanks for that!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@pepper If you keep flooding threads with AI , a load of digits, and most definitely not your buddy - or anyone else's, you are effectively destroying the very idea of having a gardening forum. Stop it!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@pepper If you keep flooding threads with AI , a load of digits, and most definitely not your buddy - or anyone else's, you are effectively destroying the very idea of having a gardening forum. Stop it!

First and most importantly I apologize, that wasn't my intention. My only intentions when I reply to questions is helping as well as leaning for myself. Secondly, I know it's not my "buddy", I was somewhat joking saying that but showing it does have a method of chatting that is no different at all then chatting with any complete stranger online other then it is a billion times smarter and doesn't take things personally.

I didn't think I was "flooding" anything, I replied to the question with all the information Meadowlark provided and then some about sweet potatoes, it just happened to be provided by an AI that has more research information memorized then every botanist and horticulturalist on earth combined. I see more often then not members on here googling answers to questions and answering with quotes so I don't see the difference other then AI gives a much more detailed reply.

As far as the forum I'll stop answering questions, that's not a problem. I'll stick with conversation about "what I did in my garden today" sort of thing. But considering AI only rolled out to the public a few months ago and is already getting 1.8 billion monthly users not to mention google is rolling out AI BARD to replace google search and Microsoft has already added AI GPT 4.0 and I am guessing others will follow it might be a good idea to accept it will be the "go to" of the internet for all answers by this time next year, most people believe.

Anyway again I apologize and also to the OP that this reply is somewhat off topic, I just wanted to say the reasons for my "flooding" answers to some questions. Lol.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum used to tell me that the road to hell was paved with good intentions :) and I'm sure that your intentions are good ones. All thoughts and ideas can be helpful on a forum such as this one, even if they are such as ''well I don't know the answer, but I wonder if'' The good thing about our favourite subject is that no matter how old we are, or how knowledgeable, we can all get it wrong sometimes! It is great that we can chat across the miles, and share our own experiences as we muddle through.
We mustn't allow these robots to take over our brains completely, must we.
I am now old, and can still learn from children! 👵

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My mum used to tell me that the road to hell was paved with good intentions :) and I'm sure that your intentions are good ones. All thoughts and ideas can be helpful on a forum such as this one, even if they are such as ''well I don't know the answer, but I wonder if'' The good thing about our favourite subject is that no matter how old we are, or how knowledgeable, we can all get it wrong sometimes! It is great that we can chat across the miles, and share our own experiences as we muddle through.
We mustn't allow these robots to take over our brains completely, must we.
I am now old, and can still learn from children! 👵

Just to give a bit of perspective to why I embrace this new technology is because it was during the time that computers and Internet first started becoming part of households that I was growing up. So I've heard pretty much the same from some family members and even teachers as well as others that would have been around the same age I am now calling computers and Internet a fad and they had no desire to use or learn about them. Now, as most predicted, computers became a part of everyone's life from banking to social media and everything inbetween. And I have watched those people who didn't follow the technology evolution struggle with the most simple things in life. It is already known that these "robots" will be everywhere within the next few years, they are already being used to drive cars, assist in medical, schools, and almost countless other uses. So my biggest concern is that I don't want to end up like the people I see struggling to try and catch up with the times.

But that doesn't mean I don't respect anyone's choice to not roll with the changes and I can understand this forum is more about the personal enjoyment of gardening. So I wasn't offended or anything when you replied, I just like to give my POV as to why I am rolling with the changes that are inevitable and already started.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum used to tell me that the road to hell was paved with good intentions :)
I believe that is a mis-quote, and the original is 'Hell is paved with good intentions'. People used to ask 'Is it the road to Hell, or the way to hell, and the answer was 'Neither'.

Ask a Question