Shady Jungle Garden

Guy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I moved into my house (NW UK) last October and was faced with a garden full of ivy and a range of shrubs that were long past their prime. I have decided to use a jungle theme on a shady corner to liven things up.

I have planted the usual Hostas and F.Japonicas. Does anyone have any advice on what else would likely work? I have a fair amount of space left behind the bench. Ideally there will be a mix of perennials and evergreen (I like something to look at in the winter).

DFB3C48F-A260-4DCE-93AB-F6007238AAA0.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Guy :)
For a jungle themed corner you need to grow things that are tall, and make some kind of arbour or trellis to enable climbers to grow. Trachycarpus fortunei (chusan palm) is a plant that springs to mind.
Have a look at this for some inspiration.

Guy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tetters,
thanks for the advice. Funnily enough, I grew up only a few miles from the garden in the video.

I didn’t consider climbers but they will certainly help to hide the fences. Good shout on the Trachycarpus Fortunei. The corner only gets about 2 hours of direct morning sun though, so I hadn’t really considered any palms.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Evergreen ferns, calla lilies also might be a possibility. They are growing on the north side of my house so get no direct sunlight. Many of the plants you’ve already planted will totally fill the space they are in and need dividing so if you like them you already have some good candidates.

Ask a Question