Sept 12th wedding

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all, My fiance Sandra and I are getting married in our backyard in sept. We bought about a dozen large planters and filled them wit assorted annuals for general decoration. Some are doing very well..... and the rest not so much. We put stock plants in with sweet potato vine and the stock plants wont even bloom (there just a bare steam with long seed pods on them) and the vines are way to big. Can the vines be cut back and how long after will they come back?.... And what can I do about the stock? We also have a vanilla butterfly that had bloomed out so I cut it all back and it has not started to re grow yet... any help would be great. I gotta get these planters looking good for the big day!!

cheers
Matt

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my first wedding was Sept. 15, perfect weather, and no rain. Since then I observe Sept. 15th and it still is perfect weather and no rain. However, I think I recall a few days before it rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Not sure about the cutting vines issue but I doubt it would hurt to trim them. Are the other plants getting the requisite sun, good growing medium, amount of water (not too much, not too little, etc)? Perhaps an application of compost tea or a good all-purpose fertilizer would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
this is mid July and your wedding in mid September. First I don't see what area you live in. 2nd not sure what type of vine you cut back, you did not say. And third, butterfly what, I have never seen a vanilla butterfly bush so ruling that out, so do not know what plants your talking about. In any event if your counting on them in two months to be glorious I think you have to plan other things just in case. If your from my area, then in September the green houses are loaded with mums and asters. You can get many pots of those for color.
I get it, your talking about the sweet potato vines. have not a clue as they are annuals really don't deal much with annuals. But as I recall when I do use them, they are slow to grow. again, depending on sun and rain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
image.jpg
Good luck with your wedding plans, Matt and Sandra.
My youngest son got married in our garden a few years ago and I'd really only started gardening that year. It looked good and we were all pleased with it. Now of course it is even better. One thing I did do that I think worked well on the day was I bought two metal pots which had......actually I'm going to go outside and take a photo......I don't know why the photo has gone on top ...it's all too technical for me. I have two of them now in my garden but for the wedding I had giant red mandevillas vines planted in them. Blake and Vee stood between them for the ceremony and signed the certificate and a small black wrought iron table and two chairs. It was a lovely day and I'm sure you're will be too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :)

Do you have any photos of the planters in question?

Reaction score
Hello there, Matt! Congrats to you and your future wife, Sandra. I hope everything goes well with the wedding, specially with those annuals you were talking about. best of luck with that project and the upcoming wedding!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am awed by that garden wedding you are planning and in your backyard at that. I guess that would be a pretty garden when the decorations are put into place. Wedding is an intimate event that is shared by family and close friends but lately weddings have become a showcase of sort with that prenup ceremonies and after ceremony rituals of pictorials. Good luck to your wedding, congratulations and may you have a pretty one in your garden.

Ask a Question