Seeds from ebay?

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered seeds (flower or vegetable) from Ebay? If so can you recommend a seller? I love that there is such an amazing variety at great prices!

A few years back I ordered petunia seeds from a seller (who had excellent ratings) and the seeds never germinated. It could have been user error (maybe ;) ), but I think they were bad. I'd rather purchase from someone who has been recommended. Thanks!

Jed

Reaction score
I don't blame you that a recommendation is warranted. The use buy date is very important when buying seed. I've never bought seeds on eBay but do buy from a catalogue and have them posted. To save on costs I usually get some friends involved and share the seeds of some. It maybe better for you to check out local gardening sites and getting hold of seed catalogues.

Reaction score
I agree with Jed.. it is always good to get seeds from local nurseries that are reliable unless you are buying seeds which are not available in your country. I am sure there are some really good nurseries around your place where you buy seeds from. I have bought some seeds from China.. none of which sprouted.. this was not through EBay.. but a Chinese dealer.

Reaction score
I have never ordered from ebay either. I have ordered through a company that was advertised in with the Sunday newspaper coupons tho and the tomatoes turned out great! But I usually go to Home Depot or Lowes for most of my gardening needs.

Reaction score
I normally go through Home Depot or Lowes, but sometimes I'll see a plant online that I want and they won't have the seeds. Ebay is a gold mine for fun plant seeds. I may have just gotten a bad batch and I should have emailed the seller, but I figured there was no way I could prove it wasn't user error. I may try another seller and will post my results if you're interested.

Reaction score
You know what? I have never ever thought about buying seeds from eBay, but think I will take a look now that I know, thank you! However, I have bought some very cheap seeds from one of those “everything for a pound” type shop I must admit the packaging looks all OK, but obviously I won’t know the outcome until I put them in the soil. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
I have ordered my heirloom seeds from Ebay, last year was the first year and my seeds germinated very well, I was pleased. I ordered again this year but haven't started anything yet. I ordered a survival pack and was not disappointed and the price was really good.

Reaction score
Wow does look like you can pick up a bargain at eBay, this morning ordered a mixture of seeds but made sure that the sellers were all “eBay Top-rated seller’s” (thanks themotleyshopper) also looked for sellers that get their seeds from big companies instead of the wholesalers, which apparently means that we get the savings and should get good quality seeds!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought tobacco seeds from ebay, they were fine, but I can't remember the seller.

Bought onion sets from the pound shop & won third prize at a veg show with them. For relyable seeds I use Chiltern Seeds and The Real Seed Company, lots of rare and unusual varieties from them.

Reaction score
Ohhh...Zigs...I typed in "therealseedcompany.com"...you must be growing some really FUN plants, LOL. I'm still giggling...it's a site for "cannabis" seeds! I'm thinking it might be a different site in the UK .

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oops, forgot to warn you about that one, :D

Yes, its a different company under the same name, http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

I've had some good heritage varieties from them.

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check that one out...probably a bit safer than the American version of the company ;) I will say I didn't realize you could buy "those" kind of seeds online. I guess you can find anything online nowadays!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its crazy isn't it, its only growing the plants thats illegal over here, saw a cops program last week where they'd stopped a lad with a complete hydroponics lab, he admitted it was intended for pot growing but they had to let him go as there's no law against it.

We usually put up a warning on the other forum when we're talking about Real Seeds, I just forgot over here.

Reaction score
LOL that's pretty funny. Although I'm definitely ready to learn more about gardening and to try planting new things, I don't think I want to plant THAT new thing. ;)

I had never thought about looking for seeds on eBay, but I don't know why not. You can actually buy practically ANYTHING on eBay. I have seen some pretty good deals now that I have looked.

Ask a Question