Seed starting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been learning and growing my gardening skills for the past 3 yrs now. This year I decided to start my own seeds. Tried doing some research but having some trouble so hoping to get some insight on a specific matter. I don't have a good area to germinate and grow with natural light due to curious kitties that will more than likely destroy anything attempting to grow on my window sills. I have a detached garage that is always around 70° and has plenty of fluorescent lighting. My question is can I use these lights for grow lights? I can position them to be a certain distance away but idk how far or if it's even an option. I found that around 3000 lumens and around 5000 kelvins is ideal but these lights are 8600 lumens with 4200 kelvins. Can this be done?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This should work, at least for starting seedlings early for Spring planting. If the lumens are higher than desired, you can keep the seedling farther away from the light. 4200 Kelvin is a neutral white light that will have enough blue and red wavelengthd to promote plant growth, especially for young seedlings.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would start out a bit closer than three feet. Most seedlings can take fairly bright light as long as moisture levels are commensurate.

When they begin to germinate, start playing with the distance. If they begin to etiolate (stretch) move them closer. If they seem to be drying out too quickly, move them farther away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use warm white fluorescent rated at 2900K for starting seeds along with a heat mat. I keep the light about 3 INCHES from the growing seedling, not feet. Been doing this for the past 3 years with no problem. Soil temperatures are extremely important while starting seeds. Most vegetable seeds will sprout at about 65F but it takes a lot longer than the optimum temps of about 75-80F. Heat mats are inexpensive and last for years. Soil thermometers can be cheap or expensive. Even most food thermometers will work. Just because the ambient temperature is 70 does not mean the soil temp is 70. Soil temps are usually lower than the ambient temps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question