Do Seed Starting Cells Need to be Deeper than they are Wide?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently purchased some seed cell trays off Amazon; I'm decently happy with them, but I wish that the cells were a little bigger. I have lots of room so potting up just feels like a waste of time for me. The cells are about 2-2"

But these cells also come with trays that are 2" deep, 4" wide and 6" long. I was thinking with a little ingenuity I could drill drainage holes and create barriers to turn the trays into 4 cells that would be 2" wide, 4" long and 2" deep. I'm sure I can find something around the house to use as trays for the cells.

Are there any problems with having cells that are wider than they are deep? I worry it will somehow cause the plants to be unstable in the container.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't see any reason it would be harmful. Root grow outward and downward. I suppose it would depend on what you have planted. For instance, okra which has a sort of taproot would need a deeper container than say a pepper.

Ask a Question