Starting from seed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never started from seed before, and I've seen a lot of conflicting information on the internet. I've seen people say you need heat mats, I've seen people put one seed into little seedling containers, and I've seen people just put seeds in full sized pots. I've seen special potting mixes too.

I am going to be starting some basil, cilantro, and dill from seed.

Can I just sow several seeds into 6 or 4 inch pots with regular potting mix and up-pot once they are suitable seedling size? Or do I actually need heat mats and seed trays and things like that?

The 4 inch plastic pots that bonnie brand plants from HD or Lowes comes in. Do they just sow seed in those or transplant from mini seedling containers (the 6 pack types)?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As far as I know, heating mats are only required when you're starting early in the season (indoors) to get a head start on the growing season. As for other seed-starting concerns, it's best to look on the package (or on the internet) for best germination practices for the plant(s) you're growing. For example, some seeds require sunlight for germination, others might need overnight soaking to soften up the shell....

And then you got regional concerns, for example, my regional concern here in Florida is not putting the seedlings out in full sun conditions (regardless of plant), because the seedlings (and the potted soil) usually get burnt up by the very powerful sun we have here. I have to be real careful of slowly conditioning the seedlings for dealing direct sunlight, especially this year, which has been a very hot/dry year so far.

That's all I can think of, for now, off the top of my head....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO the most important thing when growing from seed is the seed starting temperature. The average best temperature for most plants is between 75F-80F

Ask a Question