Seed starting??

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all. I would like to chime in as well if I may. I am brand spakin new to this whole seed planting thing. I am a guy who knows NOTHING about flowers or planting or anything like that. But I want to start with just flowers this year. Simple ones so I can learn. Probably Zinnias, etc as I learn them. So here is my scenario and questions. I would like to start with a Jiffy 72 cell tray. I get the whole use Seed Starter soii thing and watering and such. I am in Rochester NY and I do not heat my house during the day in winter time. I know I should but I do not. Another discussion for another time. I believe I set it to 50 when I am not home as I live alone. So that being said if I am doing just flowers would I need a heat mat? Timing is unimportant to me. If they grow slower I am ok with that. So would they need a heat pad? Also light. No good sources of direct sunlight so artificial light is needed. Fluorescent or LED? Watts? Also I am thinking about putting the seed tray in an old fish tank I have laying around and resting the light on top. Would that work? Thank you all in advance for helping a newbie learn.

My experience is that if it is a plant like Zinnia, that likes it warm, then it does almost no good to plant too early. You will not get any further ahead than if you waited. In fact it may do some harm. Keep that in mind if you are starting Zinnia seedlings. You have to keep them warm for them to germinate and continue to grow. I grow Zinnia every year and I am way up here next to Buffalo, NY.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is currently the last week of March. When would be a good time to start Zinnias. Marigolds, etc? A few weeks from now. I know the general date to start puting things outside around here is Memorial Day. But like I said my goal right now is to learn.

Ask a Question