Seed starting??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know this has probably been covered a ton of time, I apologize. I've been trying to read up but now I am just confused.:confused: I am planning to start some seeds in a Jiffy tray, mostly this is just for fun, if it works...great! If not, hopefully Ill learn something. I am doing mostly flowers, but also a few fruits and veggies for fun. If I do this inside the house, do I need a heat pad? Inside is about 74-75deg and I could put it in the laundry room which usually stays a few degrees warmer (actually about 80 if we keep the door closed to it and its a sunny day). Do I need a grow light inside? what type works? If I use the laundry room it will just be on a counter top, so a free standing or a clip light would be best. Or a two tier cart.

That's a lot of words...sorry. Let me try to clarify the question.

DO I need a heat mat for indoor temps at 75deg?
Do I need a grow light?
What grow lights do you recommend? for a cart? For counter top?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know this has probably been covered a ton of time, I apologize. I've been trying to read up but now I am just confused.:confused: I am planning to start some seeds in a Jiffy tray, mostly this is just for fun, if it works...great! If not, hopefully Ill learn something. I am doing mostly flowers, but also a few fruits and veggies for fun. If I do this inside the house, do I need a heat pad? Inside is about 74-75deg and I could put it in the laundry room which usually stays a few degrees warmer (actually about 80 if we keep the door closed to it and its a sunny day). Do I need a grow light inside? what type works? If I use the laundry room it will just be on a counter top, so a free standing or a clip light would be best. Or a two tier cart.

That's a lot of words...sorry. Let me try to clarify the question.

DO I need a heat mat for indoor temps at 75deg?
Do I need a grow light?
What grow lights do you recommend? for a cart? For counter top?

Thanks
Your seeds will sprout fine at 75F
You do not need light to sprout seeds. Except lettuce.
Just put your sprouted seeds in a window where it will get A LOT of direct sunshine until you can move them outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your seeds will sprout fine at 75F
You do not need light to sprout seeds. Except lettuce.
Just put your sprouted seeds in a window where it will get A LOT of direct sunshine until you can move them outside.
your my new best friend. I want to give these a good chance at survival but I don't want to spend a ton of money on it either. Another month it will probably be warm enough to do this in the garage (that will make the wife happy), it got down close to 40 last night though (dang its cold and wet today!). I don't know if that is too much temperature swing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If the temperature is a steady 75ish, you don't need a heat pad.
Yes, you do need a grow-light. We have two-tube 2' long florescent lights on two of the shelves where we start plants. The tubes are not "gro-lights" but just "daylight" florescent tubes.After the plants emerge, turn on the lights and keep them close to the plants. As the plants grow, raise the lights. I've found it's easier to put the growing trays on risers of some sort, and then lower the trays as the plants grow.
Below you can see one of the shelves we have in the guest bedroom. I use heat mats because our house isn't as warm as yours. The top shelf has the humidity dome on it while seeds are germinating, the second and third shelves have plants growing, but which still need supplemental light. The light is about 2" above the plants, and I remove the risers to keep about that much space between the lights and the plants.
Seed Start 1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks! No special bulbs needed? Just a regular fluorescent? Im not sure I have good access to a window with enough light, although we do have skylights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I should have explained--the shelves are in front of a window because that is where the space for the shelving is in the guest bedroom. Natural light isn't a requirement if you have the supplemental light provided by florescent lighting. Skylights won't hurt, but keep the artificial lights on for 12-16 hours a day.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am interested in starting some hot peppers from seed and I know they like warm temps so i am considering a heat mat. But, I also use the seed trays with a watering system that draws the water from a tray underneath the potted seedlings. Keeps the seedlings consistently moist but not any warmer than the room they are in. I am wondering if the trays will still work?? Thanks for your picture and any help. Mark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am interested in starting some hot peppers from seed and I know they like warm temps so i am considering a heat mat. But, I also use the seed trays with a watering system that draws the water from a tray underneath the potted seedlings. Keeps the seedlings consistently moist but not any warmer than the room they are in. I am wondering if the trays will still work?? Thanks for your picture and any help. Mark
Starting seeds and growing seedlings are different things. When starting seeds they need a higher temperature than do seedlings, especially hot pepper seeds., somewhere close to 80F. And they need to be continually slightly damp, not wet. Seedlings on the other hand need lots and lots of light more than anything else. Temperatures should stay above 70F for best growth. About your watering system: It will be fine just as long as the soil is just slightly damp.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks/ I am going to try putting the heat mat under the water tray and hope that it warms the water and that transfers up to the soil and seeds. It is done with a clear plastic cover so it might work. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
IMG_0256.JPG
This is the heating pad I got on eBay for less than $12. It is the best gardening tool I have ever bought. All my tomato seeds sprouted in less than a week. Jalapeño peppers in 9 days. My test sweet corn in 7 days. I am going to buy two more this weekend.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. I would like to chime in as well if I may. I am brand spakin new to this whole seed planting thing. I am a guy who knows NOTHING about flowers or planting or anything like that. But I want to start with just flowers this year. Simple ones so I can learn. Probably Zinnias, etc as I learn them. So here is my scenario and questions. I would like to start with a Jiffy 72 cell tray. I get the whole use Seed Starter soii thing and watering and such. I am in Rochester NY and I do not heat my house during the day in winter time. I know I should but I do not. Another discussion for another time. I believe I set it to 50 when I am not home as I live alone. So that being said if I am doing just flowers would I need a heat mat? Timing is unimportant to me. If they grow slower I am ok with that. So would they need a heat pad? Also light. No good sources of direct sunlight so artificial light is needed. Fluorescent or LED? Watts? Also I am thinking about putting the seed tray in an old fish tank I have laying around and resting the light on top. Would that work? Thank you all in advance for helping a newbie learn.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For the record. I did use a seedling heat mat which I placed underneath my the water tray. It did help to germinate the hot pepper seeds. It took about 10 days and then they all started to push up. (pic included) Thanks to all who replied. Now if it would start to warm up outside I could get a lot more done!

Attachments

• peppers 3-18.JPG
    peppers 3-18.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 196

Ask a Question