Seed Gun?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I want to work on a seeding device for lawn patching. I have an idea about what would work but it would be a problem with making little balls of seed to use in the device.
Screenshot_20240214_094021_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I am thinking the confection sugar balls have promise. COH are the primary nutrients after all...
Screenshot_20240214_100728_Walmart.jpg

I think it would be great fun and I could even wear a stylish zootsuit!
Screenshot_20240214_094145_Chrome.jpg

The hard part is how to get a seed inside a ball of sugar and not kill it. Clay maybe? Or compress seed to make a ball without killing it??

Call me a Grass Gangster, One. More. Time. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Oh, this will be fun.

DIY Pelletized seed. Maybe a mix of powdered sugar and corn starch. Then you need to tumble them to make the pellet round. The initial impact and acceleration could destroy them.

Go with the 22 caliber over the 177, that extra 50 thou clearance will allow for greater variability in pellet.

========

Anyway for broad spectrum application I made a cheap sand blaster out of a air compressor blaster attachment and Gatoraid bottle (youtube channel King of Random made one and it worked to etch pint glasses) which may work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh, this will be fun.

DIY Pelletized seed. Maybe a mix of powdered sugar and corn starch. Then you need to tumble them to make the pellet round. The initial impact and acceleration could destroy them.

Go with the 22 caliber over the 177, that extra 50 thou clearance will allow for greater variability in pellet.

========

Anyway for broad spectrum application I made a cheap sand blaster out of a air compressor blaster attachment and Gatoraid bottle (youtube channel King of Random made one and it worked to etch pint glasses) which may work.
I remember a clay "seed bomb" people were tossing along highways. It had all the fertilizer and seed for flowers and so forth. This needs be a tiny version.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, aren't those airsoft pellets degradable? May take awhile but you could be Bonnie and Clyde Appleseed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, aren't those airsoft pellets degradable? May take awhile but you could be Bonnie and Clyde Appleseed.
Dunno. Somehow I have never played with one. I really like the idea of at least a fertilizer though and sugar makes a hard candy. Those little CO² powered bb guns are pretty weak so it may work out. I think I have a tumbler for rocks or brass around here. As long as my wife cannot put holes in the bird feeders I am good to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
hmm can we start carpet bombing with tree missiles? My kids said no more trees in the yard, I'm looking for a way around that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In this part of the world trees with 'helicopter' seeds would be the ones I would pick. They spread themselves very efficiently, things like sycamore and ash are the first generation to take over new ground, for example something like an earth slip. You only need to introduce a few and they will spread themselves, except in my garden where I am always digging up ash and hornbeam.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
In this part of the world trees with 'helicopter' seeds would be the ones I would pick. They spread themselves very efficiently, things like sycamore and ash are the first generation to take over new ground, for example something like an earth slip. You only need to introduce a few and they will spread themselves, except in my garden where I am always digging up ash and hornbeam.
yeah, helicopter seed dispersal is great. But I want to figure out a way to use a javelin to plant a tree seedling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yeah, helicopter seed dispersal is great. But I want to figure out a way to use a javelin to plant a tree seedling.
I reckon you want acorns. Most trees that grow on new ground are the helicopter seeds, forest trees, like beech, tend to stick to the forest, and expand it by increase along the edge. Oaks are odd ones out, they reproduce as forest trees, but they also take over rough grassland where squirrels and magpies bury acorns. If you could roll acorns in clay maybe, so they got a coating, and fired them from a pneumatic cannon, like grapeshot from a carronade ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I reckon you want acorns. Most trees that grow on new ground are the helicopter seeds, forest trees, like beech, tend to stick to the forest, and expand it by increase along the edge. Oaks are odd ones out, they reproduce as forest trees, but they also take over rough grassland where squirrels and magpies bury acorns. If you could roll acorns in clay maybe, so they got a coating, and fired them from a pneumatic cannon, like grapeshot from a carronade ...
Personally I am thinking Basil. I simply cannot keep enough fresh basil.

But since you brought it up, what about shooting Chicken of the Woods into logs just to see what can happen? Spores are tough as nails.

Ask a Question