Scotch bonnet - leaves drying up

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
To my surprise, leaves started wilting and drying out on my Scotch Bonnet pepper despite daily watering. Watering twice a day seems to have saved the remaining leaves but I am still surprised that the plant can't handle Swiss summer (though a remarkably warm and sunny one).

The soil remained wet between waterings so I'm wondering if I am missing something else.

Attachments

• 20230715_194539.jpg
    20230715_194539.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have root damage from over-watering. If you up-potted into a larger container you would raise the water volume and the plant would need less watering. Any plant I have to water every day will get up-potted into a larger container.

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Actually, this happened before I up-potted. During the heatwave leaves would wilt unless I gave it a solid watering and then at some point watering didn't help anymore, it dried up. So I'm still unable to tell how underwatering turned into overwatering.

I up-potted it into dry soil but didn't help much.

I guess no Jamaican Jerk Chicken for me this year :(

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Actually, this happened before I up-potted. During the heatwave leaves would wilt unless I gave it a solid watering and then at some point watering didn't help anymore, it dried up. So I'm still unable to tell how underwatering turned into overwatering.

I up-potted it into dry soil but didn't help much.

I guess no Jamaican Jerk Chicken for me this year :(
Often leaves will wilt in a heatwave even if they have enough water, it's just the plants way of saying dang it's hot out today. As always, my suggestion is buying a hydrometer off Amazon or at the garden store, they are cheap and can tell you exactly how much moisture is in the soil from top to bottom of the roots without having to guess.

Ask a Question