Scotch Bonnet Pepper Question!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone, newbie gardener here!!

The scotch bonnet plant you see in the attached pictures was store bought and transplanted into a pot on June 1st. We have noticed in the last few days it has begun to turn slightly yellow on certain leaves and has some minor tears/holes in the top leaves primarily. We put fertilizer spikes in the soil with it a day or two after transplanting (I believe the fertilizer sticks were 10-10-10).

Just looking for any tips/tricks for this plant as this is me and my girlfriends first year gardening and as such are looking for any information some more seasoned gardeners would be willing to share! One major question we had for this plant especially is do we need to do any trimming/pruning and if so when/how? We live in zone 4b if that helps (Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada).

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments

• Scotch Bonnet (1).jpg
    Scotch Bonnet (1).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Scotch Bonnet (2).jpg
    Scotch Bonnet (2).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Scotch Bonnet (3).jpg
    Scotch Bonnet (3).jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Scotch Bonnet (4).jpg
    Scotch Bonnet (4).jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fertilizer spikes work but very slowly and are not the way to grow and maintain a hot pepper. While in containers you should use a liquid fertilizer like HastaGrow, Espoma, Dr Earth, Fox Farms etc. Fertilize during watering at a minimum of once every two weeks. Do not prune a pepper. Scotch Bonnets require full sun all day. They are sensitive to their soil staying to wet so only water them when the soil is dry about 2 inches deep or when the plant is wilted in the AM hours. If they wilt in the afternoon it is normal.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks Chuck, I'll be sure to get some liquid fertilizer and use that when we water next. Should I be fertilizing approx. once every 2 weeks throughout the plants life cycle even once it starts to produce fruit or discontinue the fertilizing once a few peppers begin appearing? Appreciate the advice!

Scott

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, I'll be sure to get some liquid fertilizer and use that when we water next. Should I be fertilizing approx. once every 2 weeks throughout the plants life cycle even once it starts to produce fruit or discontinue the fertilizing once a few peppers begin appearing? Appreciate the advice!

Scott
Keep up the fertilizer. A Scotch Bonnet, if taken proper care of, will live for a few years and become a gorgeous plant, almost a small tree. You will, of course, have to repot a few times for this to happen. Just make sure it gets plenty of light and appropriate watering

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok will do! What's your take on miracle grow liquid fertilizer as I believe I have some of that lying around?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Fair enough. I'll have to check out those fertilizers you mentioned in your post above, although I'm not sure Canada and especially the small town I'm in will have the best selection. Maybe I'll take a look online though. Thanks again for the advise Chuck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fair enough. I'll have to check out those fertilizers you mentioned in your post above, although I'm not sure Canada and especially the small town I'm in will have the best selection. Maybe I'll take a look online though. Thanks again for the advise Chuck!
Even a granular form of organic fertilizer is OK but a little different to use

Ask a Question