Save dying pothos vine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new to plant-keeping & need some help with one of my plants. I unfortunately was forced to leave my pothos vine at my apartment for about 2 months without water over the summer, (I didn't expect it to be alive when I came back) but it still a little bit alive, it is green on the inside when I check the vine. I had to cut it down to just a few leaves & ive been keeping it watered but the leaves are very pale & limp. I've been back for about 3 weeks now & it's just getting worse... I've had this plant for about 6-7 years and I'd like to be able to keep it alive... Is there anything I can do to bring it back? Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I've attached an image of it)

Attachments

• IMG_5487.JPG
    IMG_5487.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 578
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pothos are incredibly resilient.
One good soaking once you got back would have sufficed; are you continually giving it water now? If so, stop and let it dry out, until the soil is completely dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
thanks for the help everyone. I haven't watered it too much to kill it, just watering it whenever the soil seems sufficiently dry. but I think it's too far gone to save it at this point, unfortunately. It has just gotten worse over time but I'll wait it out just in case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sounds like what happened to mine...I repotted it and it slowly deteriorated. Hope yours goes a different way

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I may be wrong but I think I see a new leaf "rolling" out parallel to the right side dying vine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a, 5b
Country
United States
I agree with the idea of taking it out of the soil and putting it in water. You may need to just cut the surviving vines and do this so they form a new root system. This is how I propagate these vines. The root system you have may be withering and this will just restart the plant by allowing it to form a whole new one in the water. Let it stay in the water until a good amount of roots have formed and then replant it in new House Potting Soil. I use the kind of House Potting Soil from our local hardware store that has fertilizer in it that is slow released over several months so the plants get a good start. I keep my Plants with moist soil at all times once repotted. I have saved a few of my plants that suffered a trauma that caused them to start withering by doing this, and was successful in saving them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I actually did end up taking part of the plant out of the pot and put it in water for a few weeks, now it's looking a lot better + growing new roots! I put it back in soil about two days ago but perhaps it was too soon, I will watch it to make sure it stays healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I moved it because it kept getting infected with brown algae, I can move it back to water but I'm not really sure how to prevent the algae problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Algae has been plaguing my lucky bamboo as of late. A drop of hydrogen peroxide per liter of water or so helps to prevent it buy my lucky bamboo wont tolerate that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I will try that, thank you! I'll put it back in the water & hopefully won't have as bad of an algae problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Watch out for signs of deteriorating health. I can guarantee it will redice or prevent the algae problem, but I cant guarantee the plant will like it. I tried an experiment - I grew algae by putting fertilizer in a glass vase in the sunlight. algae growth was incredible, I added about 2 drops of hydrogen peroxide per liter of water. About 3 quarters of the algae disappeared by the next day, what was left was white and stuck to the sides of the vase. When I tried it with lucky bamboo, 1 drop h2o2 per liter of water, it was too potent and the tips of my bamboos leaves began to turn yellow.

Ask a Question