San Marzano Tomato Problem

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm looking for some advice with my tomatoes. I have around a dozen or so tomato plants inside that have been starting under a 250W HPS grow light waiting for the temperatures to get warm enough for me to transplant them into my raised beds. I'm in Southern Ontario Canada and June 2nd and 3rd are showing a forecasted temperature of 2 and 3 degrees Celsius over night so it is too cold yet to be putting them in my garden though I have been hardening them off gradually during the day time for the last few days as temperatures are predicted to stay above 12 Celsius in the coming week. This has been an unusually cold and wet spring for us and my tomatoes far outgrew the plastic cups they were planted in before they could go outside. I transplanted them 2 weeks ago into about 1 litre pots and they have taken off in growth since then, but to the point where my san marzano's have become so top heavy that they're bending over even with support. I'm unsure if this is due to the weight of the foliage or a problem with the plants themselves. Some of my other tomatoes have seemed to become leggy under the same light, even though i try to rotate them under the light. I'm hoping they won't have to stay inside much longer but with the weather we've been having I'm unsure and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
20190531_153913.jpg
20190531_152300.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The first picture shows an EXTREMELY leggy plant. When you plant you will either have to plant VERY deep or plant it on it's side. The picture of the San Marzona show top heaviness. You should place a longer stake in the pot and gently over time try to straighten the plant.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
IMO those plants need to be transplanted as soon as the next cool snap passes. After transplanting, protect them when they need protection but they need full sun more than they need inside protection right now.

Plant the first one deep, preferably on its side. The second one should be planted so that it is on its side and growing upright about where the pencil touches the plant.

Cover when temps threaten frost and if necessary add a light bulb to the covered plant for added protection. Old empty cattle tubs work great for that, but even an old sheet will work if necessary. IMO, the risk(of disease) of keeping indoors is much higher than the risk to setting them out in full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We use cold frames made of pvc pipe because they have easy elbow connectors. They can be covered easily over a skeleton of pvc pipe.

Ask a Question