Advice for mother of thousands / kalanchoe

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve had this nice little plant for about a year now but noticed it’s not been doing so well. Based on online research, it may be sunburnt leaves but I’m not sure where exactly to put my plant so it gets optimal sunlight. Could be something about the soil / watering as well.

The leaves get brown and crinkly, dry up and fall off, and I see that the ones that haven’t are drooping.

Some advice would be really appreciated. Thanks all!

Attachments

• 16BF110D-BB25-458E-9413-C654EA1282DD.jpeg
    16BF110D-BB25-458E-9413-C654EA1282DD.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 448
  • 0929A830-421C-4B83-9B53-6BA064FCE077.jpeg
    0929A830-421C-4B83-9B53-6BA064FCE077.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 374
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello! According to my internet research: this plant needs good drainage. Plant it in a cactus mix. Miracle-Gro sells bags of cactus soil. As for light, if you are growing it indoors: it needs bright, but indirect light for several hours. Says this plant can go outdoors during the summer months as long as you slowly introduce it to the outdoor atmosphere and give it only morning sun. Do not leave this plant in direct sun for too long or it will scorch the leaves. Hope this helps.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wish I could help I am hoping to have better luck with my MOT I have some small pieces trying to cling to life since I had pretty much given up on having a great looking or even pretty good looking plant. They always end up tall and lanky like a bean stalk. I am going to try again. Good luck with yours.

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Punparadox hope you're MOT is improving . I wanted to let you know that mine is hanging on. All I had left were spindly little pieces and now I have tiny babies appearing on stems I planted. They look just like the babies that appear on the leaf points. I am amazed to see these already. I also have one new plant growing from just a leaf, so don't give up this plant will hang on maybe longer than we do. LOL will try to show a
20191026_142312_HDR.jpg
20191026_142312_HDR.jpg
picture
I wish I could help I am hoping to have better luck with my MOT I have some small pieces trying to cling to life since I had pretty much given up on having a great looking or even pretty good looking plant. They always end up tall and lanky like a bean stalk. I am going to try again. Good luck with yours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I’ve had this nice little plant for about a year now but noticed it’s not been doing so well. Based on online research, it may be sunburnt leaves but I’m not sure where exactly to put my plant so it gets optimal sunlight. Could be something about the soil / watering as well.

The leaves get brown and crinkly, dry up and fall off, and I see that the ones that haven’t are drooping.

Some advice would be really appreciated. Thanks all!
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

As with most succulents, Mother-of-thousands (Kalanchoe daigremontiana), in the Stonecrop Family (Crassulaceae) and originally native to southern Madagascar, wants excellent drainage, moderate irrigation an plenty of sun or indirect light.

Actually, the plant shown in the OP appears fairly healthy. One older, withered leaf, as seen in the first photo, is not a cause for alarm.
The injured leaf in the second photo may have only suffered mechanical damage from the edge of the container.

Ask a Question