Rose of sharon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Rose of Sharon seems like a really hardy plant - not sure what category it is in, but my mom's looks like a tree, lol. I love these "plants". :)
bush.jpg
roseofsharoncloseup.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like a hibiscus... we have them here and call them white hibiscus.. LOL .They are very pretty though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh my, this is so beautiful! I want to have Rose of Sharon in my garden too! Unfortunately I've never seen it in my area so it's probably too cold here:(
I found a very pretty picture:

06-23-57_rose-of-sharon_420.jpg

Reaction score
I don't know where you are located claudine, but I have one growing in zone 5. We get to -10 sometimes, and 100 in the summer..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't know where you are located claudine, but I have one growing in zone 5. We get to -10 sometimes, and 100 in the summer..

I live in Poland. During winter it's rather cold here, sometimes even -20 or -25 (degrees Celsius ). During the hottest days of summer, it's around 35. Could this plant survive here?

Reaction score
Rose of sharon spread like crazy from their seeds they drop after flowering. It got so bad this last year that I finally said enough and ripped out the three of them, they were about 8' tall. I am sure there will be a bunch of new seedlings sprouting this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You ripped them out?:( I wouldn't, I'd like to have as many of them in my garden as possible because I love how they look:D . Do they have fragrant flowers?

Reaction score
I don't think the flowers have much smell. They were pretty but oh my gosh the seedlings are everywhere!!! Claudine I will probably be able to send you a bunch of small shoots come spring time I will let you know when they start. I usually go around spraying weed killer on them there are so many. They grow really fast. I dug them out this last fall and the fall before that I cut them way back and they grew back to the same height they were before I cut them. If you know of anyone that has these plants you should be able to dig up the small seedlings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is very sweet, but I'm sure they wouldn't survive in my climate zone, it's too cold here. It's a pity they don't have fragrant flowers, they look so lovely, I thought that maybe they have sweet scent:)

Reaction score
Beautiful photography. The first picture makes me want to grab a picnic basket and eat a nice lunch outside, while looking at the pretty flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't think the flowers have much smell. They were pretty but oh my gosh the seedlings are everywhere!!! Claudine I will probably be able to send you a bunch of small shoots come spring time I will let you know when they start. I usually go around spraying weed killer on them there are so many. They grow really fast. I dug them out this last fall and the fall before that I cut them way back and they grew back to the same height they were before I cut them. If you know of anyone that has these plants you should be able to dig up the small seedlings.

Does your RS die back in the winter or just loose leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have 3 in part shade areas usda zone 8a. They are robust and respond to pruning very well with even more flowers though they take a year or two to grow back out.

Ask a Question