Rose--Keep or toss?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As we move into April here in Arkansas, we can assess what has survived from our very challenging year, with temps above 105 in the summer, and well below 0 in the winter, both unusual extremes that are becoming, well usual. I have several roses in containers that did not survive the harsh winter. This one, a tea rose called "Promise" is about 3-4 years old, planted in a container from bare root. It has done well, but this year does not look so good. It has several large dead canes, but is showing life at the very bottom of the plant. My question: is this worth keeping and nurturing, or will it end up being a very weak plant?

Attachments

• Harper-Promise Tea.jpg
    Harper-Promise Tea.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am pretty sure that is two plants grafted together. The rootstock survived. If so it should soon bloom and prove the rose is dead because the flowers are really different. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I can't tell if that's a graft union or not but if it is grafted and what is growing is below the union then it won't be the tea rose.

I have 96 roses in our flower beds and they all grow on their own roots. That way if the top dies back I don't care because the roots usually survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I can't tell if that's a graft union or not but if it is grafted and what is growing is below the union then it won't be the tea rose.

I have 96 roses in our flower beds and they all grow on their own roots. That way if the top dies back I don't care because the roots usually survive.
It took me a while to arrive at yard roses that were less sensitive. We could keep Tea in pots for safety but not in ground.

Ask a Question