Roses under globular trees

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hi! I'm kind of new at gardening, only having had one for a couple of years, so I'm still learning. Just a couple of weeks ago we planted some globular catalpa trees in our front yard, about 3m apart since they don't grow too bit. In fact, they're not supposed to get much taller than they already are, which is at just over 2m.

Between the trees, I was hoping to plant some climbing roses arches. We have one that grew wonderfully in the backyard (3+m since April) and was hoping to replicate this in the front, between the trees.

I've gone on a google hunt to figure out whether this is advisable to do or not, and I'm getting both "yes" and "no" answers, so I'm understandably confused.

So, as a recap:
- globular Catalpa trees planted a couple of weeks ago
- Roots are about knee-deep, just taken out of the planters, so not spread out yet.
- Roses would get planted about a foot away from the tree base, set up to grow on arches.
- The front yard is exposed to sunlight all day long, but since the trees would offer the plant some shade, I'll choose a rose type that does like some shade, like the one we planted in the backyard, which only gets full sun during the summer mornings.

How the catalpas will look, come spring. Hopefully.
catalpa globulara.jpg

Many thanks for all the input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Newbyflower. :)

As a guide line for you, root spread is usually at least the same as the mature height of a tree but can be more. Roses tend to be hungry feeders for nutrients and water so if planted too close to the trees roots will suffer. The trees demands from the soil will be greater than the roses. Planting the roses a foot away from the base is much too close in my opinion and knowing that each individual tree's roots are likely to meet anyway, I wouldn't plant roses between them. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hey Sheal! Thanks for the reply. I may have been hoping for a yes, but I don't want to harm the trees (or the roses) :)) I'll just find another spot for more pretty rose arches and that's that :giggle: It would have looked awesome, though. The conflicting info I found online had me wondering whether or not it was a good idea and I have no one else to ask so I'm glad I found this forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome Newbyflower. :) If they were shrub roses and not climbers I would suggest planting them in large pots and stand them between the trees.

Ask a Question