Rooftop gardens

Reaction score
I wouldn't want the roof falling on my head... :LOL of those picture are ridiculous.. Goats grazing on roofs is too much for my liking.. LOL.
Amusing pictures though. Thanks for the laughs :D ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wouldn't want the roof falling on my head... :LOL of those picture are ridiculous.. Goats grazing on roofs is too much for my liking.. LOL.
Amusing pictures though. Thanks for the laughs :D ;)

But some of these pictures are so beautiful:) . I'd love to live in one of them,it's just so romantic. Although I agree that goats are too much:p .
Here is another funny picture:

goats+on+a+roof+1.jpg

People don't seem surprised so I think that goats walking on the roofs aren't unusual in that area:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, no! That last one with the sheep is just going too far! I don't know if I could calmly sit there and dine at a place with livestock on the roof! That is just nutty.

Claudine, you should Google earthships. There's a lot more going on with those than just green rooftops. Most are built into the landscape and they are rather ingenious.

casa-llanta-earthship-in-nicaragua.jpg

071112_earthship_hmed_8a.grid-6x2.jpg

3288492863-brighton-earthship-roof-view.jpg

Reaction score
@ Claudine, I do like some of the pictures..but dining with sheep overhead is not my style.. lol So funny. Trees growing over my house.. No ..no.. LOL
@ Chanell, I like the earth ships. I was reading up some stuff yesterday and those pictures looked awesome.. They seem more sensible and won't hurt the roof of the building :) But the plants may just burn up in my kind of climate.

Reaction score
Looking at all those plants makes me wonder about one thing. Don't the roots get into the roof and create cracks? I remember that roots are very good at getting into the tiniest crevices and slowly, over time, make the crevice bigger and bigger as the root grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, some of these earthships look really interesting, thank you ChanellG. I like this:

dietikon0gr.jpg

Although I must say that in my opinion they're not nearly as romantic as regular houses with grass on their roofs:D
This is a photo taken in China, they have not only rooftop gardens but also houses on roofs:p :

gy_2_20120814091516015N.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Maddie, why do you think the plants would burn up? You would use native plants and if you had a couple of those beautiful Java Cassia trees around, you'd get some of the natural cooling provided by the shade of them :)

@Victor I would imagine that there is some sort of barrier to keep the roots from causing any damage.

@Claudine, I had a feeling you would like the earthship design. I hadn't seen any like the one you posted with the water. That's a neat idea if you live in an area where you would never have to worry about flooding.

The picture from China reminds me of the rooftop of one of the local hotels here. I've never been up there, but you can see the building on top from all over the area and it's so unusual compared to every place else.
0.jpg

Reaction score
@Victor

I think that if your roof is cement then there is absolutely no way for the roots of plants to get in and cause damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cement forms cracks. Haven't you ever seen ferns or other plants growing from the sides of buildings or coming up from sidewalks? The best thing is to put down the liners that discourage weeds, but there are a lot of factors to consider, like weight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Would you believe I never even knew which building it was until recently? Since I know where it is I used Google Maps to locate it so I could find a picture and post it. I had no idea it was part of that hotel! I now know it's a restaurant. There's a pool up there also.
Hotel Monteleone History

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, it's wonderful! I'd love to eat a delicious meal in a restaurant like this:D

This is another pretty picture:
6210f_dach-zdjecia_1_jpg_zielone-dachy-ekologia-izolacja-uszczelnianie-1_main.jpg

Yes, I'm obsessed with houses like this:p

Reaction score
Cement forms cracks. Haven't you ever seen ferns or other plants growing from the sides of buildings or coming up from sidewalks? The best thing is to put down the liners that discourage weeds, but there are a lot of factors to consider, like weight.

That's right. I have seen those old concrete buildings where some birds dropped seed somewhere on a ledge high up out of reach and over time, the seed grew into a small bush with roots that went into the cracks of the concrete and eventually cracked the concrete.

Off-hand the only lining that I can think of that's root-proof is plastic.

Reaction score
These pictures are all amazing! I too am in love with rooftop gardens. I even started a petition to have one made in my high school and they did it! It was the best thing that I had experienced in all four years :p I think they are incredible gorgeous and help the environment a lot. Why have a garden on the floor when you can have it on your roof? :D

Reaction score
I love the idea about rooftop gardens! They are such a great way to escape the city and feel like you are in the your own little greens pace! Some of those pictures are amazing!. Our friends in Warsaw have the top apartment and they have an amazing rooftop terrace and she grows so many things up there. When you are there you do not feel like you are in the city!

Ask a Question