Robot Lawn Mower, anyone?

Reaction score
Hi All, I was writing a blog for a gardening website when I came across this:

husqvarna-automower-automatic-lawnmower.jpg

A robotic lawn mower! I've seen them cleaning carpets and floors, but never the garden before. What do you think? I'm going to grow some grass just so I can get myself one of these!

Reaction score
I think it could work, if the lawn was already well maintained, lol! My thick weeds and seedlings this year would probably bring it to a dead halt! It's a good idea and I look forward to hearing how this invention fares in the marketplace over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol, it looks like a miniature car, it's so funny. I think that it's a pretty good idea, I would like to have a mower like this...if only my dog wasn't so naughty. I'm sure that he would chase the mower and he would try to destroy it:p

Reaction score
Actually you are both right. Normal gardens and family pets may cause a few problems for this little machine. I'll let you know when they come up with some solutions ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
On the other hand, it would be nice if a mower like this kept my little dog occupied for some time. I have a Yorkshire Terrier who is very energetic and wants to play all the time. I love him, but I can't play fetch with him without any breaks:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Oh my, a Roomba with a very fast, very sharp blade.

I'm joking of course. I can see this technology really taking off in the near future. All the components are completely mainstream these days, so why not. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The gadget fiend in me would love one of these! I did look at robot mowers last year, but they cost almost £1000 so I passed!

Plus, our lawn (if I can call it that!) is just little patch of badly growing grass. It's been scarified then overseeded + topsoil, but as it's under a yew tree I don't think we'll ever have much grass.

Reaction score
I'm ok with letting our little Roomba zoom around bumping into the furniture, but I don't think I'd want something with a blade running around aimlessly. Maybe if you programmed a path for it, but I'd think you'd have to supervise it constantly to make sure nothing goes terribly wrong.

Reaction score
It's really cute, and as an anime nerd, I appreciate its sci-fi look. But what if it mindlessly runs over your kid's escaped hamster, or chews up a $20 bill that fell out of your pocket?
You would have to have a perfectly flat lawn and no small wildlife scurrying around for this to be practical.

Reaction score
It works with a vacuum so why not a mower? lol It is funny because this reminds me of when I was a young kid and I first heard about a "self-propelled" lawn mower. I thought it would be exactly like this picture and drive itself. Later on I learned that it just helps you push it easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks ace! Circular lawns are clearly the way forward :D

Ask a Question