Rhododendron tree Care

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I inherited two rhododendron trees when I purchased my home. The landscaping in general was horribly neglected so I am trying to get everything back. The trees are dying and while I learned some stuff through google I wanted to ask people who know! There were two types of vines growing on the tree ivy and something else. I pulled them off the tree as much as I could. I’m hoping the ones at the top will die off since I cut away it’s connection to its roots. I bought holly tone fertilizer and put it around the base. I dug holes around the base and filled it up with some of the fertilizer before covering it again. Everything I did so far are things I read in an article or on the holly tone bag. But any other tips would be awesome! I just hope the tree isn’t done for.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Give it a good water, it has been a dry summer, all those vines and weeds will have been stealing its water, and the fertiliser won't start working until it has dissolved and become available to the tree.
I had the same thing, rhododendrons planted close to the north side of a hedge that had overgrown and engulfed them. One is recovering, the other still looks pretty sad. The other thing I did was mulch heavily all around them.

Ask a Question