Rear tine rototiller recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking to purchase a rear tine tiller for gardening. I am looking for one that the tines are able to rotate in either direction. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Personally I like the front tine tillers. I have a rear tine troy-bilt bronco but having the ability to put different tools behind the machine makes for less work. Its not like they go deep anyway as you only till down a couple inches at the time with the hand held machines. I have had the big troy bilt horse and even it was best used a few inches deep but multiple passes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've owned a few of them over the decades and without question the best by far is my current 20 plus year-old Troy-Built Bronco. I've literally ran the wheels off that machine more than once and just recently replaced my fourth wheel @ $80. That's my only complaint on that unit.

Compare that 20 plus years of uninterrupted service to the front-end tiller that preceded it with less than one season of use before the engine seized up and you can understand why I recommend the Bronco. A front-end tiller will beat you to death if it doesn't kill itself first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've owned a few of them over the decades and without question the best by far is my current 20 plus year-old Troy-Built Bronco. I've literally ran the wheels off that machine more than once and just recently replaced my fourth wheel @ $80. That's my only complaint on that unit.

Compare that 20 plus years of uninterrupted service to the front-end tiller that preceded it with less than one season of use before the engine seized up and you can understand why I recommend the Bronco. A front-end tiller will beat you to death if it doesn't kill itself first.
But the bronco won't make a hill row for me.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
But the bronco won't make a hill row for me.

Actually, it will. On cleared garden soil, make a pass and then on the next pass start offset to one side of the previous pass. You will have a ridge being built up between them which can become your raised row. Repeat as much as desired to increase the hilling effect.

I use raised row gardening almost exclusively and have made my rows this way...but in my old age I find it much easier to use middle busters on my tractor to quickly make raised rows in one pass...but it can certainly be done with a Bronco in multiple passes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actually, it will. On cleared garden soil, make a pass and then on the next pass start offset to one side of the previous pass. You will have a ridge being built up between them which can become your raised row. Repeat as much as desired to increase the hilling effect.

I use raised row gardening almost exclusively and have made my rows this way...but in my old age I find it much easier to use middle busters on my tractor to quickly make raised rows in one pass...but it can certainly be done with a Bronco in multiple passes.
Tractors..hmmph. Thats an easy button!

Ask a Question