Raspberry plants for containers

Reaction score
12846194-large.jpg

For those of you that like raspberries, but don't have enough room to grow them, you'll be pleased to know, that now you can.

Some thornless, self pollinating, dwarf plants, suitable for growing in containers were introduced earlier this year, and are apparently going to be widely available in 2014.

I'm thinking they look pretty good, should you be wanting to buy and grow this variety, they come under the lovely name of
' Raspberry Shortcake ' :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That's BRILLIANT gata.
I love raspberries, and have "Polka" variety instead of a front hedge.
I've been wanting something like this for my holiday home, which is a static caravan on the SW Scotland (Wigtonshire) coast.
That may just be the job.

Reaction score
Very nice, I'll wait to hear what they taste like but I wouldn't mind one of those.

Reaction score
How great is that? I would love to have a few containers of those raspberries. Anything that I have grown in containers survives without slugs or snails and those look great! Thank you.

Reaction score
That's BRILLIANT gata.
I love raspberries, and have "Polka" variety instead of a front hedge.
I've been wanting something like this for my holiday home, which is a static caravan on the SW Scotland (Wigtonshire) coast.
That may just be the job.

Thanks.
An edible hedge, especially a raspberry one, sounds like pure heaven to me, bet people passing can't resist pinching one or two though :)
Would also love to know, if ' Raspberry Shortcake ' tastes as good as it sounds, will you let us know ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks.
An edible hedge, especially a raspberry one, sounds like pure heaven to me, bet people passing can't resist pinching one or two though :)
Would also love to know, if ' Raspberry Shortcake ' tastes as good as it sounds, will you let us know ?
If I can buy it here in the UK.

Reaction score
If I can buy it here in the UK.

Just double checked and yes, you should be able to buy ' Raspberry Shortcake ' in the UK, as I understand it, there will only be a small amount available in the UK this autumn, but that they will be widely available come spring 2014, so hopefully you'll be in luck and get one. :)

For those that live in The States - they are currently available.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
'Raspberry Shortcake' sounds adorable! Oh, it's such a great idea, now I'll be dreaming about growing dwarf raspberries in flowerpots. I love the fruits, they're yummy.
Also, the plant in the picture looks very pretty!
I hope that soon they'll be available in Poland:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I love raspberries, and have been ping to check out Lowes this fall and see what they have on close out. I have never heard of the Shortcake berry' but it looks like a perfect size to have in a pot on the back patio.
I am definitely going to see if they have them at Lowes, or maybe in some of the plant catalogs next spring of not this fall.
Lowes seems to always have close outs on their shrubs and berries in the fall, so I usually do my stocking up on plants then.

Reaction score
'Raspberry Shortcake' sounds adorable! Oh, it's such a great idea, now I'll be dreaming about growing dwarf raspberries in flowerpots. I love the fruits, they're yummy.
Also, the plant in the picture looks very pretty!
I hope that soon they'll be available in Poland:D

Thought you'd like them Claudine and have to agree with you on this one, the plant does look very pretty :) You may be able to do more than dream about them, as they should be available all over Europe in the Spring of 2014.

I can just picture you, sat admiring your miniature roses, whilst nibbling on the easy to hand, juicy fruits of ' Raspberry Shortcake ' :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This would be more than wonderful:)! I'd turn my room into a raspberry field:) I hope that the plant will be easy to grow, I've never tried growing raspberries.

Reaction score
This would be more than wonderful:)! I'd turn my room into a raspberry field:) I hope that the plant will be easy to grow, I've never tried growing raspberries.

Don't think you'd have any problems growing raspberries, as they are very easy to grow, even easier than strawberries, which if left unchecked, grow like weeds. All you need to do with raspberries is give them some sun, water, well drained soil and of course some of your loving care, which will make them thrive, and in no time at all you'll have raspberry bushes to be proud of and large supply of fruit to munch on while admiring your miniature roses :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm really looking forward to growing them! I'm sure that it will be a lot of fun!:D Also, I just love surrounding myself with beautiful plants and the miniature raspberry in the picture is one of the prettiest plants that I've seen in a longer while. I wish they were already available here:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think you'd have any problems growing raspberries, as they are very easy to grow, even easier than strawberries, which if left unchecked, grow like weeds. All you need to do with raspberries is give them some sun, water, well drained soil and of course some of your loving care, which will make them thrive, and in no time at all you'll have raspberry bushes to be proud of and large supply of fruit to munch on while admiring your miniature roses :)
Give them a little of Zigs' woodash too, and your anti-oxidant levels will be through the roof.

Well, since I'm picking a punnetful in the morning, and another punnetful in the evening, I can bear the loss.

Reaction score
Give them a little of Zigs' woodash too, and your anti-oxidant levels will be through the roof.

Well, since I'm picking a punnetful in the morning, and another punnetful in the evening, I can bear the loss.

Thats an excellent tip, hadn't thought of that. :) If we keep recommending Zigs' woodash, do you think he will give us commission, when it becomes a branded product :D

Your hedge is obviously looking wonderfully delicious at the moment, must say am a bit envious of all those punnets of raspberries you are getting, would love to live near you, and know that I could come and pinch your raspberries, without you chasing me away :D

Ask a Question