Raised Planters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Always do a vegetable garden (mostly tomatoes) this year I am adding a series of raised cedar planters that are approximately 2' x 4' each (see attached photo) Plan on doing mostly small stuff of course (radishes, small carrots, herbs, lettuce etc)

My question is.... for the start year what is best recommended I fill them with? It seems that bags of potting soil really is very light and has no density... should I go with regular topsoil? Also what nutrients are best.... I was thinking about adding maybe a 1/2 bag of manure and 1/2 bag of Humus to each containr but I will take any recommendations

Attachments

• IMG_9162(1).jpg
    IMG_9162(1).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
What you are intent on growing requires little in the way of nutrients, and a light growing medium will suit the carrots.
What you suggest yourself sounds fine.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Bees is right, I grow herbs in normal topsoil as they don't need much nutrient. The humus is a good idea for moisture retention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would not use Potting Soil as a growing medium. I would buy bagged Garden Soil and bagged compost/humus mixed 50/50. Compost and humus are about the same thing but I have never seen humus sold here. Garden soil and Top Soil are two greatly different things. Its true about these plants needing little nutrition but what about next year? Next year all you will have to do is mix in a little more compost and if you decide to plant something else you'll already have a good start. I don't know where you live but it seems a little late to be planting carrots. Please update you profile to let us all know where you are located and your hardiness zone so we will all have a better idea of how to help the next time you have a question.

Ask a Question