Raised garden design

Reaction score
I have been dreaming and hoping for a vegetable garden for years but have settled for pots on my patio and a very small herb garden outside so far. Next year it's time to finally build the garden of my dreams!

I have done some research online about raised gardens and I definitely want to go that route because I have a finicky lower back and we have pesky rabbits. We'll have to finish the edges with lovely chicken wire to keep them out.

My question to all you lovely folks is what do I use to edge the garden? I am hoping for a budget friendly option that will withstand time. I'd like the garden to be about 8 inches tall. Timbers, stone, concrete blocks...what's best?

Do you have any picture inspiration for me of your raised beds?

Reaction score
Here's what I found for you:

Materials for a raised bed:

• One 6-foot-long 4-by-4 ($15)
  • Six 8-foot-long 2-by-6s ($75)
  • One 10-foot-long 1-inch PVC pipe ($3)
  • Two 10-foot-long ½-inch PVC pipes ($6)
  • 32 3½-inch #14 wood screws and 16 ½-inch #8 wood screws ($29)
  • One 4- by 10-foot roll of ¼-inch-mesh hardware cloth ($15)
  • Eight 1-inch galvanized tube straps (semicircular brackets; $3.60)
  • 32 cubic feet (1 1/5 cu. yd.) soil mix ($100 in bags; look for combination of topsoil, compost, and potting soil).
With a table or power saw, cut the 4-by-4 into four 16-inch-tall corner posts. Cut two of the 2-by-6s in half. Cut the 1-inch PVC pipe into four 12-inch-long pieces and the ½-inch PVC pipes into 6-foot-long pieces. Assemble pieces on a hard, flat surface.

front-garden-designs-and-ideas.jpg
Home-4.JPG
raised-bed-main-m.jpg
small-garden-ideas-037.jpg

Reaction score
My MIL does raised beds- but she doesn't just raise them a bit from the ground- she makes them with table legs so it doesn't bother her back.

I like to check out pinterest for gardening ideas- I have a bunch of things pinned for doing raised beds in the future.

Tam

Reaction score
We have raised beds in our garden and still working on it. It is way nicer to work in I can sit on a crate or side of bed to weed, and harvest. We also put wire over top creating dome look then cover with clear plastic to create mini greenhouses in our garden. This really helps speed up the growing. We take the plastic off to water and take the wire down to weed and when the plants have grown too high. We live in a climate where the growing season is very short. I am having trouble uploading a pictures so I am unable to show them to you.

Reaction score
The bottom image, the raised flower beds with the spotlights, I really like the look of that! Very classy looking. Do you know how hard that would be to make? I've never had any experience with electricals in the garden. To be honest, I've not had my garden for that long so I guess that's not a fair statement! I moved into my house not too long ago so I'm still getting bits and bobs sorted but the back yard looks like it's got some proper potential, and I'd like to take advantage of that. I've gone to a place called Garden Larch for advice on raised flower beds, but would like some other opinions! Thanks :)

Reaction score
Wow, so many pictures for information! I really like the last one too. Fancy with all those lights in the wood! I would guess that could get pretty pricey with the lights, wiring, and whatnot...but we can always dream :) I'll probably do something more like the middle two pictures. Wondering what type of wood is sturdiest and lasts the longest?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw a raised garden bed using cinder blocks. I thought that was a good idea inexpensive idea also. Has anyone here used cinder blocks to frame their garden?

Reaction score
I would go down the concrete or what in the UK we call "breeze" blocks @jessamom. Wood will rot very quickly if buried in the ground. If you try to treat it, toxins may well leach into the soil and ruin whatever you are trying to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have gone with cinder (cement) blocks and rebar. I love it. Wood, like mentioned rots. My cement blocks are tightly fitted so ground preparation is a must. Rebar keeps them from shifting when pounded into the ground. I was able to get them for less than a dollar per running foot making them cheaper than wood. Not joining the bricks together has allowed me to change bed configuration as my gardening interests and yard designs have evolved. If you are a long term gardener cement blocks are also a long term product. Like mentioned before check out Pinterest for some great ideas. You won't be disappointed

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE the idea of a raised garden! I would love to build one in the future! Thanks for sharing all the lovely photos...they make for great future ideas for my own.

Reaction score
Where I live, I'm not allowed to have a garden, but I can have planters as long as they are removable! so what i'm thinking is that I can make a large frame with a bottom on it, that way its within the rules!! I so excited about it an it sounds like a great plan I just hope i'm not in over my head on this. I really want my family to start eating healthy an if I had it my way we would be eating fresh fruits and veggies every meal!

Ask a Question