Raised Garden Bed Overcrowded

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is my first time planting anything and my mom and I decided to put two strawberry plants, four green bean plants, four cucumber plants, three cabbage plants, and a cauliflower plant. Is this overcrowded and what should I do?
20160607_171742.jpg
20160607_171754.jpg
20160607_171742.jpg
20160607_171754.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just a bit overcrowded. Cabbage and cauliflower should be about at minimum 1 1/2 feet apart. Green beans (bush type) about 6 inches apart. Cucumbers (vining type) about 6 inches with a trellis. And it looks like in the pictures that the soil might be 6 inches deep at the most, when it should be at a minimum a foot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, overcrowded somewhat. Not sure how successful you'd be at transplanting at this point. Don't worry, it's a mistake almost all of us make at least once! On the up-side, your plants look pretty healthy so far.

I'd build up the soil, add some compost and fertilize a couple of times during the growing season, because those babies are going to suck the nutrients out of your soil pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Agreed, I'd take the cauliflower out. I have the same problem right now but with peas. I don't know what made me thing I could put in everything I did and now my peas are getting out of control and completely covering the onions. The carrots are pretty much doing the same thing to the carrots from the other side, it's a disaster. Not really but I have to get something to raise my peas a bit so they don't go any crazier than they are. I have a railing pot with just peas in it and they're overcrowding themselves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is pretty late, I would just let it go and see how you do and learn a little for next time. The thing is that everything looks very healthy. Sometimes when planting it is hard to visualize just how big some stuff will get, which is why it is best to just read the packages. On the plus side, I love the variety in such a small space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just a bit overcrowded. Cabbage and cauliflower should be about at minimum 1 1/2 feet apart. Green beans (bush type) about 6 inches apart. Cucumbers (vining type) about 6 inches with a trellis. And it looks like in the pictures that the soil might be 6 inches deep at the most, when it should be at a minimum a foot.
It isn't six inches deep. It goes down pretty far. Its a trough type thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Would I need to put a trellis there for the cucumbers? Is so, how would I do that?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would I need to put a trellis there for the cucumbers? Is so, how would I do that?
A trellis would allow the cucs to grow up and not over the side. You wouldn't necessarily have to erect a trellis but cucs have some fairly long vines and I wouldn't think you would want them on your deck getting stepped on and such. Just google garden trellis. There are all kinds you can get an idea from

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your garden looks good, you have received some good advice here already. I would just feed and water the plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have learned about overcrowding, but since it's been in the bed so long and they are established, I would leave them alone until they start to cause one another problems. At this time, there could be significant damage to the roots, which can make your plants sick. I would just prune them and harvest. Once you get your first harvest, I would relocate them or thin them out at that time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
You can plant stuff closer together in containers, as long as the soil is good, and you give them plenty of water and fertilizer, and they have plenty of sun. That has been my experience. I don't think it's over crowded. I packed my raised beds pretty good with plants and they are mostly doing fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can plant stuff closer together in containers, as long as the soil is good, and you give them plenty of water and fertilizer, and they have plenty of sun. That has been my experience. I don't think it's over crowded. I packed my raised beds pretty good with plants and they are mostly doing fine.
So what happens when all of their roots intertwine? Moisture and nutrient levels are disrupted? One grows taller and minimizes sunlight? Air circulation is curtailed and fungi attacks everyone? There are reasons why different plant require different spacing

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I deliberately plant some crops "too close" together.
For example, carrots and onions are sown at half distances with the intention of taking alternate plants when they're a useable size.
Planting tomatoes too close gives an earlier, if smaller, crop.

Ask a Question