How long do YOU run your soaker hose? (Raised garden bed)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know it depends on soil, psi/hose length, vegetable type, and weather. I'm just new at this and looking for a starting point to start testing times. I do have a timer. I also know that soaker hose is not favorable to many, but that is what I ended up with. We are in California's Central Valley with little rain and temps get up to 113 degrees in the summer. We have already hit 100 degrees. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Soaker hoses are an abomination. I assume your area is small. Hand watering is better but three are several methods.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?DDBQE 8 July 2012 Effective Watering.
Get the moisture to the roots of the plants! Not by guesswork, but by utilizing an effective delivery system. The watering magic wand and a bit of effort delivers the water where it can be utilized by the plant roots. The soil is hard packed clay between all the plants, yet the plants are thriving. The plant root growing area might be compared to a large pot. The pot being the hard packed clay outside the root growing area. All my plants are watered when large enough using the WATER MAGIC WAND. When the plants are small a watering can is used or a pail. Why would any thinking person water the ground between the plants where it does no earthy good? Even some of the large trees get water, since during this dry spell some are shedding leaves, a sure sign of they need water. Drip, soaker hose, and aerial spraying are almost insane as far as being effective for the plants. Plants so not need continuous watering, they like a deluge then a rest period.

Mulch helps retain moisture for loner periods, but it alone is not adequate if there is insufficient rainfall. The watering times are staggered, hence the effort is not onerous. The results are spectacular with little wastage of water.
8%20july%202012%20effective%20watering.%20004_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Welllll, after installing my Snip N' Drip soaker hose and watching the water flow once, I still haven't brought myself to turn the thing on! It just isn't in line with my instincts. I have just been using my watering wand. There are just too many variables to expect the hose to water my young plants properly. Maybe when my plants mature and it gets hotter outside I will turn it on.... or maybe I spent the money on it for no reason. Haha. Ugh.

Ask a Question