Questions about making leaf mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would put them well in so they were protected from predators. I don't think it matters where exactly; unintuitively worms are fairly fast moving and will soon find where suits them best no matter where you put them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you guys were going to introduce worms into your leaf pile would you put them on the top, in the middle, or on the bottom?
The temperature of the pile is also very important. Too cold and they will either die or leave. The same with moisture. Too little and they will go deeper. Too wet and they will either drown or come to the surface and then either die or leave. I have never seen worms is just leaves, there has to be soil too, IMO. When my soil temperature goes down to 60F the worms leave.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never seen worms is just leaves,
Thinking about it that's true. I see them in the leaf mould at the bottom, but even then not lots like in compost. I reckon if you want them to rot down quickly your best bet would be to empty the kitchen compost in occasionally.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Am I correct in assuming that I don't want to use tap water (chlorinated) to water a compost or leaf mold pile?
I would say so, yes. In my case I'm on a well so it's not an issue but for you if you let the tap water sit in a pail for a couple of days the chlorine should evaporate off, same as guys in the city do for when they keep minnows alive in a cooler in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @smitty55 stated, the chlorine will dissipate within 2 days totally. If you pour chlorinated water onto a compost pile you will do damage to the top few inches of the pile. However, soil microbes reproduce so fast that you will regain the microbes lost in a very short time. But it is better to let the chlorine gas off for a couple of days before pouring it onto the pile. During the past 50 years or so I have never added water to my compost piles, just a stale beer or coke now and then. Watering speeds things up but it is not mandatory.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dern Mr Buckle is straight to the point. Lol. Add a little white sugar to that?

If you are concerned, you can add 1 drop of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 1 ppm of free chlorine per gallon of water to neutralize it. City water usually contains 3-4 ppm of free chlorine per gallon so about 3 drops per gallon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dern Mr Buckle is straight to the point. Lol. Add a little white sugar to that?

If you are concerned, you can add 1 drop of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 1 ppm of free chlorine per gallon of water to neutralize it. City water usually contains 3-4 ppm of free chlorine per gallon so about 3 drops per gallon.
Hells yeah thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How do you get rainwater from your butt? Lol. I'm sorry I couldn't help it. I would never make a mean joke about someone. I hope this didn't offend at all
One of the fun things is that this site is very eurocentric not americentric and the refreshing part is in fact the different perspectives and historical vantage point expressed by so many of the participants. Having said that, I find an English to english translation necessary from time to time and they are not always equal. The description you search for is "Rain Barrel", denoted in the AM section.

Screenshot_20230103-065142.png

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you get rainwater from your butt? Lol. I'm sorry I couldn't help it. I would never make a mean joke about someone. I hope this didn't offend at all
That took me a minute, "It's fitted with a tap" was my immediate response :) then I realised, butt is American for bum.

Ask a Question