2 fruit tree questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 separate questions. First my plum tree has grown flowers and then leaves but only on the young branches. The branches that were there during the last season didn't grow any flowers nor leaves. Is this normal? Or is it too soon? Or was I supposed to prune the old branches? First picture below.

Second, finally got some grapes growing and something seems to be eating them! Any advice to on what could be eating them and how to keep them off the grapes? Second picture below.

20220412_142157.jpg
DSC_0021.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Not sure about the plum tree.

But i think the grapes might be a pollination issue as opposed to something eating them. The leaves look fine, and it doesnt look like the fruit have developed enough for birds or mammals to leave them. If it is still early in the season, this is quite normal. Once the vine puts out more flowers, you should see better pollination rates.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have advice on the plum? I fertilized about a month ago and water regularly but still not seeing leaves on the older branches. I've had the tree only a year or year and half.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Is the plum still green under the bark all the way to the top? Or is that dead wood?

Most plums need a pollinator but that isn't your worry just now.

Has a "weed and feed" fertilizer been used in the vicinity by you or a neighbor?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the plum still green under the bark all the way to the top? Or is that dead wood?

Most plums need a pollinator but that isn't your worry just now.

Has a "weed and feed" fertilizer been used in the vicinity by you or a neighbor?
Yes it's still green, and I think I am beginning to see buds on the older branches now. Hopefully we will see flowers or leaves soon.

There isn't any grass for me or my neighbor so no wee and feed. However I wanted to start a lawn in the near future. Is there a problem with weed and feed? I used Dr. Earth's organic fertilizer for fruit trees.

Do I need a pollinator to get it to fruit?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes. weed and feed is problematic around young fruit trees.

Yes, on most plums you will need a second tree to act as a pollinator...or alternatively have a close neighbor with one.

Ask a Question