Question about Thallophyta division of plant kingdom and fungi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to brush up on my botany knowledge and something that struck me as odd was learning that the division Thallophyta appears to include: green/red/brown algae and fungi among other things.

I saw somewhere that Thallophyta is a formerly recognized division of the plant kingdom, does that mean that it's no longer used in taxonomy?

Additionally, I was under the impression that fungi are completely separate from plants. If that's the case, then why would fungi be part of Thallophyta, therefor part of a division of the plant community? This really has me scratching my head.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to brush up on my botany knowledge and something that struck me as odd was learning that the division Thallophyta appears to include: green/red/brown algae and fungi among other things.

I saw somewhere that Thallophyta is a formerly recognized division of the plant kingdom, does that mean that it's no longer used in taxonomy?

Additionally, I was under the impression that fungi are completely separate from plants. If that's the case, then why would fungi be part of Thallophyta, therefor part of a division of the plant community of magic mushroom dispensary? This really has me scratching my head.
thanks in advance for any help

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi everyone,

Additionally, I was under the impression that fungi are completely separate from plants. If that's the case, then why would fungi be part of Thallophyta, therefor part of a division of the plant community? This really has me scratching my head.
Thallophyta is indeed a term that was historically used to refer to a division of the plant kingdom. However, the classification and understanding of the plant kingdom have undergone significant changes over time, particularly with advancements in molecular biology and phylogenetics.
As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, the term Thallophyta is considered outdated and is not commonly used in modern taxonomy. The classification of living organisms has shifted from the traditional system that relied on observable characteristics to a more molecular-based approach. The Plant Kingdom is now often divided into several major groups, including Viridiplantae (green plants), which comprises green algae and land plants.
Regarding fungi, they are not classified as plants. Fungi form a separate kingdom called Fungi. The decision to separate fungi from plants is based on fundamental biological differences, including cell wall composition, nutritional mode (such as absorption of nutrients), and reproduction mechanisms.
The inclusion of fungi in the historical Thallophyta division might have been due to a lack of understanding of the evolutionary relationships between different groups of organisms. Advances in molecular studies have clarified these relationships, leading to the recognition of distinct kingdoms like Plantae and Fungi.
In summary, Thallophyta is an outdated term, and the classification of organisms, including plants and fungi, has been revised based on more accurate and detailed molecular data. The separation of fungi from plants reflects a better understanding of their evolutionary and biological differences. Always check for the latest taxonomic information, as the field continues to evolve with ongoing research.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the taxonomy of the Thallophyta?

Thallophyta is defined as a group of non-motile and lower plants. It includes fungi, molds, algae, lichens, etc. In modern taxonomy, the thallophyta is considered as a division under the sub-kingdom cryptogame.26 Oct 2020

Zigs just said he hasn't got a clue - not the foggiest, so I looked this up. Not a clue myself either, although we both find fungus fascinating, and he knows far more than I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I only know that the naming system is one of description. Cryptogamae has hidden (Crypto-gamete) reproductive organs for example. They do not have roots and branches etc. I like to go on learning journeys through the names as the latin forms or other methods of honoring the unique descriptions stick with my poor memory better than efforts at rote memorization. There is a increasing focus on cellular detail as one gets to the bottom of those geneological branches. Not that long ago a cell called archaea was discovered and named because of its unique cell wall that was neither plant nor animal but rather predates both as near as I can tell from the jibberish. Perhaps looking into that increasingly smaller reason for subdivision might compass your direction.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@delightfulbags - Have you considered that the term ''taxonomy'' refers to a science that is just a way of classification - particularly things like organisms of any kind? Surely this means that in a botanic world, everything fits into different families, and the label ''taxonomy'' simply indicates this.
@cpp gardener is probably the best person on this forum to explain the subject further - he is very well qualified.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is a long time since I did my biology. As I remember and from what I have read since I think the classification has changed greatly. there used only to be an animal and a plant kingdom, then fungi got separated mainly on the basis of whether the cell walls contained cellulose or not, fungi don't. As it became possible to analyse DNA the relationships and differences became more and more confirmed and fungi are now seen as a third and separate kingdom.

On that basis I think Thallophyte is probably an outdated term now regarded as inaccurate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Arslanbut explained it pretty clearly.
Modern DNA work is finding out all kinds of things about life-forms that mere visual observation could never reveal.

Ask a Question