PVC strawberry grow tower

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've designed a indoor vertical strawberry grow tower to maximize space in my 2x4ft grow tent. It will be very similar to this one:

Strawberry-Tube-Planter-3.jpg

Because I travel quite often and sometimes for up to 4 weeks I am looking a building a wick system with a reservoir implemented into the top. My I have a house sitter that is willing to come by once a week that would be willing to refile the reservoir and a little pruning. My worry is that the soil wont drain and I may get mold or root rot. Heres the prototype drawing:

strawberry tower.jpg

Is the wick a good idea or will it over saturate the soil and prevent it from drying out?

Is a once a week refill enough? How big should the reservoir be?

thanks in advance.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure someone will give you some suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Canuck!

I don't understand the purpose of the wick. I think you've got your watering upside down. Wick into a reservoir in the bottom where the soil will then draw it up? Remember, water runs downhill and everything in that top reservoir will drain down as fast as it can...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I figured it would be a bit like a drip system but using the wick to help distribute the water more evenly in a vertical manner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Okay. Here's how I know you're possibly going to have issues.

I recently started using a capillary watering system. I had the water wicking from a source slightly higher than the surface I wanted to water. And the darned thing acted like a hose. Drained water so fast it made my eyebrows raise. Soooo,

Here's a simple experiment. Put a container of water on a shelf or high surface. Run your wick from it down to another container. Wait and watch.

Think about how all that water could drown your strawberries.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
seems like the cotton wick would work better to help with water distribution rather than auto watering... maybe a reservoir and timed pump are the go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Try the wick test. You will see if it moves water or not. I think you will find that your plan would work nicely if you just move the reservoir to the bottom and wick up

You have to buy a wick anyway so why not try this simple test?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I'm on a journey to complete a PhD program and have an assignment to explore online community forums. My project partner and I have decided to pursue growing strawberries indoors. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? We are leaning towards building a tower. Is this the right step? Materials, plants, chemicals, processes, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Perhaps if you post a link to your bona fides, educational institution or pre published or incomplete thesis one might take your question seriously but a PHD candidate in this discipline would not be posing such an ambiguous question!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Lori,

Sorry if I confused the situation on mentioning the PhD. Let me try to communicate a little better than I did before.

I am a PhD student (Pepperdine University) and am assigned to explore online communities and then write about the experience. This inquiry is to fulfill an E-Learning Community class, but has nothing to do with my dissertation subject (Leadership Pattern Modification Through Neural Integration).

As part of the community experience, I wanted to reach out and solicit advice on starting an indoor strawberry hydroponic garden (which I have interest to complete, in the hope, that I can be a contributor to the community).

I think in error, should have never made mention to the PhD, since it distracted from the main question.

I hope this clarifies and looking for advice ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
WELL THEN...obviously since strawberries are very likely to end up served with cream or champagne you will have to class up your growing container. We cannot have you growing them in a cinder block. And I suppose a species should be chosen that does well in your area. You also intend they grow inside under "full" environmental control. This may be the best idea. The commercial strawberry has grown up with a soil sterilization regime that used to involve now a banned fumigant, because lots of things in the environment like to eat them. It would be cheaper to buy them, I should point that out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Strawberries are one of the most feisty plants I've come across. They deserve an honorable next to dandelions.

I have had one species growing in hanging planters for years. Not brought inside. Not neated and yet they survive and keep feeding the squirrels.

Water. Food. Light. They survive. I did have few in the ground at one point but they are so aggressive I thought they were going to come up and move me to the side!

I've enjoyed reading the OSU papers and been grateful for the knowledge.

I wish you the best of luck.

And DO keep us apprised of your developments :)

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

I'm on a journey to complete a PhD program and have an assignment to explore online community forums. My project partner and I have decided to pursue growing strawberries indoors. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? We are leaning towards building a tower. Is this the right step? Materials, plants, chemicals, processes, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Matt.

Ask a Question