Purple Opal Basil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Got my hands on some purple opal basil...I heard it's a good plant to grow in between or around your tomatoes and peppers. Anyone else have this experience? Thinking of sowing some seeds directly into the soil during the Memorial weekend while I'm planting everything else...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not heard of Opal Basil, and recently just got three little root of Chocolate mint to plant in my pot. So far it is doing well.

Do you have a picture of purple Opal Basil? Sounds amazing already :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I heard it's a little mellower than green basil, but has awesome color and you can use them to get that red appearance in like a vinegar dressing. Here's a couple pictures I got from the internet
Dark-Purple-Opal-Basil-Herb-hb106.jpg
dark-opal-basil-500x500.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I only grow the purple basil now. There is little difference between the solid green and purple but I am of the opinion the purple grows a bit faster. Usually four to eight plants meet my juicing needs. The leaves have to be used regularly or the plant goes to seed. If not using the leaves I pinch off the seed clumps to keep the plant producing leaves. It stays healthy until freeze up in the Fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, that's lovely! I've never even heard of it. I grow sweet basil every year and Thai basil sometimes.

@Dreams_of_Rural_Living , where did you find that? I'm just a little north of you, in Genesee county and usually rely on Wojos for my garden stuff but I'd drive a little extra distance for cool new stuff. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Oh, that's lovely! I've never even heard of it. I grow sweet basil every year and Thai basil sometimes.

@Dreams_of_Rural_Living , where did you find that? I'm just a little north of you, in Genesee county and usually rely on Wojos for my garden stuff but I'd drive a little extra distance for cool new stuff. :)
Hey Beth, I got mine here...its free but I am donating as its a good cause. There's a banner on the front and they will give u a complimentary pack there are 3 choices....if u can try to donate they do great work
http://www.groundswellinternational.org/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Beth, I got mine here...its free but I am donating as its a good cause. There's a banner on the front and they will give u a complimentary pack there are 3 choices....if u can try to donate they do great work
http://www.groundswellinternational.org/

Oh how cool is that, I bookmarked that site.

I donate/gift every year for heifer.org and this looks to be a similar charity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Oh how cool is that, I bookmarked that site.

I donate/gift every year for heifer.org and this looks to be a similar charity.
If u r interested also, I order from this place a lot
www.seedsnow.com

Sign up and watch for free shipping. I really love the whole 99 cent pack deal. Especially for those that either have no idea what they like, like growing new things, or want to see how a certain variety works in their zone. And the people are pretty nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I heard it's a little mellower than green basil, but has awesome color and you can use them to get that red appearance in like a vinegar dressing. Here's a couple pictures I got from the internet
Dark-Purple-Opal-Basil-Herb-hb106.jpg
dark-opal-basil-500x500.jpg

I didn't know that they are called Purple Opal Basil! If this is the same thing as Perilla mint then I have them in my yard, everywhere! They are self-seeded and grow in every crack. I have to locate the photos somewhere in my portable hard drive and will post them later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I see Purple Opal Basil. It's absolutely lovely!!!:) Does it smel like regular basil? Can it be grown indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I didn't know that they are called Purple Opal Basil! If this is the same thing as Perilla mint then I have them in my yard, everywhere! They are self-seeded and grow in every crack. I have to locate the photos somewhere in my portable hard drive and will post them later.

From what I have googled, they are not the same, they are different varieties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
It's the first time when I see Purple Opal Basil. It's absolutely lovely!!!:) Does it smel like regular basil? Can it be grown indoors?

This will be my 1st year, so not sure on it. I have read people use this both for culinary and decorative properties. Its supposed to be a very beautiful plant that just happens to be edible!

Reaction score
I've heard from it before, actually seen it in the garden of a friend. It's very beautiful, it comes in my favoriite color :) Everything that comes in that color is beautiful in my opinion, plus in her garden the contrast of the purple leaves against the green ones was amazing. A very interesting plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I've heard from it before, actually seen it in the garden of a friend. It's very beautiful, it comes in my favoriite color :) Everything that comes in that color is beautiful in my opinion, plus in her garden the contrast of the purple leaves against the green ones was amazing. A very interesting plant.

I just sowed some seeds on Friday, so I will share some photos when I get a chance. I planted some seeds around my maters :)

Reaction score
I just sowed some seeds on Friday, so I will share some photos when I get a chance. I planted some seeds around my maters :)

Awesome, looking forward to seeing those! I might share some of mine in the future, I have some from the past, but they are in my other laptop :(

Ask a Question