Purchasing a strimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like to purchase a cordless strimmer.

Ideally:

- cord not break at drop of a hat
- cord easy to replace
- cord easy to feed
- unit comfortable for me to hold and use (ie not bust my arms and back)

Advice please on good unit to buy.

I live in UK.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I will only speak of general features as I'm not certain what brands and models are sold in the UK.

Are you considering an electric trimmer or a gas/petrol powered model? I normally recommend the former for residential use, unless it must be operated at a great distance (>100 ft.) from a power outlet.

Many trimmers will take various thickness and strengths of monofilaments. Some larger, more powerful models also accommodate various wires, chains, and blades. Of course thicker, and harder lines are more durable, but they can also sometimes give a courser cut or cause unnecessary damage. Also, cost, weight and power usage will go up for these larger units. Basically there is a trade-of here. If you only expect to cut lawn grass and other fine, herbaceous growth, you can certainly get a lighter model.

Most models make some attempt to be ergonomic, but until you hold a tool in your had it is hard to fully determine comfort and usability.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The first thing to consider is the debris guard. Some are narrow and you will regret the lack of protection when you get busy. Second is weight and its distribution. A 2 amp hour battery at 58 or so volts is still heavy. Lastly, the feed head, some models have a hole that can be aligned to allow the string to pass through the head center, and you wind line on like a clock. I have a first gen echo 58 volt strimmer. To buy another I would look at EGO brand. The battery design is critical for heat dissipation and longevity. Ego has a thermally sensitive cell coating that helps were others do not.

Ask a Question