Petrol strimmer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Strimmer is an interesting word. It was originally a British brand of string trimmer, but has now become an accepted generic term for such a device. The word 'aspirin' is another example of this phenomenon.

Yes, the recommended petrol -oil blend should be used every time you operate the strimmer. The average ratio for two-stroke engine fuel is 40 parts petrol to 1 part rwo-stroke oil, but the recommended ratio may be different for some engines. Please consult your strimmer's instruction manual or, if lost, contact the manufacturer.

As a general recommendation, consider purchasing an electric trimmer, or strimmer.
Two-stroke engines are messy, polluting, and the exhaust smells awful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've just brought a petrol strimmer do I only mix the oil and petrol once or ever time I use the strimmer?
You mix every time, this is a light weight lubrication method so you have no need for an on board oil tank and associating rotating metal pumps or splashing paddles. Use at least 89 octane gas or higher. The higher the octane, the cooler and cleaner it can run. Most higher quality gas has a small amount of solvent called a detergent (seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil) which helps keep things clean inside. Oils have a measurement called lubricity. The modern ashless oils like stihl makes for example have a very high lubricity. This allows a higher gas to oil ratio with the appropriate lubrication. I have an old design chainsaw that calls for 25:1 where my stihl strimmers and saws are more toward 50:1. This means less oil to smoke or carbonize on the head or in the exhaust. In short it is a heck of a lot cleaner these days.

To tune a 2cycle engine for fall or summer air, set the idle speed screw to the fastest idle it will go. Then under full throttle, set the high speed screw to the fastest rpm and then back 1/4. This prevents a lean burn, which is like oxygen and a cutting torch, where the torch may have been started with a fuel like acetylene but once really hot only oxygen is used to melt the steel. Keeping the fuel flow "wet" or "rich" instead of "lean" prevents overheating and piston, ring, or spark plug damage.

Ask a Question