Propagating Cactus

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a cactus of an unknown variety. It is 14 ft tall and periodically puts out new arms which tend to shrivel at the ends and fall off. Some, however, have become very large on their own and are threatening to unbalance the whole mess. The arms have what looks like roots coming from the wrong side of the joints. If I wrap these in a rooting medium, where would I disconnect it from the main plant? I tried to take a picture, but it doesn't show up very well. Any help would be appreciated!

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's some cactus, 14' wow, I have some small ones, when they grow babies I just break them off and lay on top of gritty compost, they seem to take very quickly.

Please try another photo, I'd love to see that one.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Detach the new bits and grow them. I also removed the flower pods and used the seeds inside to have new plants, but that takes ages.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here's what I'm working with IMAG0071.JPG IMAG0072.JPG IMAG0073.JPG

Attachments

• IMAG0074.JPG
    IMAG0074.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMAG0075.JPG
    IMAG0075.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 260

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Can you show the joint where the young bits grow out of the old bit. I don't have cactus like this. For one with a longer bit, I just tear off the young bits along the joint and plant the new bits. They take.

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I do but I wonder just how long his long bits are. We don't have them this big here, well I don't anyway

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The middle picture on top is where the new stem came out and then grew "roots". Most of the new arms start out just a few inches long, but I have some that are over 6 ft.

Ask a Question