Propagating apple tree using cuttings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Hi all,

I just pruned my apple trees and got a lot of cuttings.

Do you know if it's possible to propagate an apple tree from cuttings? I mean, do they root easily or is it mission impossible?

Do you have any tips & tricks for rooting cuttings like these?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
You can but the results might not be satisfactory due to the cutting was most likely from the upper portion of the tree (scion) and it probably has a different trunk variety (the root stock). The root stock is usually not the preferred variety for fruit, it might not even be the same plant type. The root stock is usually selected for it's weather, pest. disease... qualities while the scion is for the specific fruit.

But don't let it stop you from trying a few, experimentation is one of the hallmarks of horticulture.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-apple-tree-cutting-63550.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
Wow, thanks Greenhorn, that was some interesting info. I will definitely experiment with these cuttings and let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is interesting to me. The Philippines is a tropical country where apple do not grow. But in the far north somewhere in Baguio City where the temperature is colder, they boast of apple trees. I didn't know that apple tree can grow from cuttings because we had tried growing it from seeds and we were successful to have a seedling... although it did not prosper enough to grow into a sapling.

Ask a Question