Over-wintered sage propagating itself

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I overwintered several herbs in pots in the barn. I took them out this morning to get used to the outdoors, and found that both of my culinary sages had propagated themselves. A stem had laid down in the soil, put out roots, and I have two baby sages!
I'd never encountered this with sage, so I'm not sure when/how/if I can separate the new plants from "mama". Can anyone help me with this dilemma?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, I followed your advice and very gently probed at the base of the new plants. They seemed to have pretty extensive roots, so I cut them free of the big plant, then took up a ball of dirt with the roots and put each baby in it's own 4"pot. I did this yesterday, and as of this morning they haven't wilted down, or shown any signs of stress.
Thanks for the good advice! Now all I have to do is find two new homes for the little sages.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one (y)

Did you water them in well? :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
They were watered in very gently with rainwater from our rain barrel. The only thing left to do is to sing a lullaby to them tonight. Last night they were freshly transplanted and I didn't think they could survive both the move and my singing:giggle:.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D Don't be too soft on them, I walked past the compost heap with my new Gooseberry.

Stopped and pointed saying "See that, that's the ones that didn't make the grade."

Nothing like a bit of terror to get them going

Ask a Question