Preserving

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Kimmy, frozen summer squash tastes about the same as fresh, but the texture is completely lost. Making a puree of squash to use in casseroles or baked with a bit of herbs is a good use for frozen squash. You definitely do not want to serve it alone.
I envy you your apples--we are waiting for our trees to mature and give us a harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Freezing green beans is a good idea, as is making a salsa out of left over veggies. How does summer squash taste after it has been frozen? I know you can buy frozen carrots, string beans and broccoli but I’ve never seen squash frozen.

As for hot pepper I usually dry them out and crush them up into flakes.

Hi @KimmyMarkks. I agree with @marlingardener regarding the summer squash. While it holds up enough to put into some recipes, after being frozen summer squash is not great on its own. I usually use it in vegetable soup or chili, because it adds bulk and a little bit of color to those recipes, and easily takes on whatever seasonings you put in those soups or stews. I have also used it in stir fry, and while it is a little mushy, it still tastes fine. Summer squash is usually one of the most abundant vegetables we have late in season, so we try to wash, chop, and freeze as much as we can as a quick method to preserve it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both! I will take this in to consideration next time I am preserving squash. Unfortunately I have so much of it at the end of the summer.

Ask a Question