Pots: Clay or Plastic?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
While I mostly buy plastic pots, mainly for the lower costs and weight, I still have an affinity for clay pots. The weight and feel of them just seem so much more authentic! I haven't heard much about the drying/moisture rates between the two types until reading this thread, so it is something I might have to rethink as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I buy plastic pots because they are cheaper, but if I had unlimited means I would only use clay. It doesn't get cold enough here for me to have to worry about them freezing, so my only real concerns would be adequate moisture and having a means to protect large pots from damage should I ever have to move them. Plastic does leach, which is a concern of mine, but it is very difficult to get around this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am trying real hard to get away from as many plastic things as I can because they are not food for the environment. It is very hard to do and I am only partially successful in doing it. Clay pots are more expensive, but thrift stores often have a selection of them too and I am willing to pay a little more money.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
While I much prefer the look of clay pots, especially those that have been glazed and painted, for starting seeds or small plants I would use plastic, or like @gata montes says, any kind of container will work well, like yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese containers, milk or juice jugs, etc. Just poke a few holes in the bottom so they will drain. My mom saves these types of containers all year and then uses them in spring. I also save the pots and trays that all my new plants come in. If you save money on these containers, you'll then have more money to spend on the plants when they are grown and you want a "container garden".

One thing to keep in mind with clay or ceramic pots - if you live where it freezes, make sure you turn any empty pots upside down, because if they get water in them and then freeze, they will crack and break.

Reaction score
At my parents house where I grew up and lived before, my mother used all clay pots for our ornamental and flowering plants in our garden. Yes they are expensive and are heavy too but for us it is better than a plastic pot. Because there are times when we tried to use the plastic ones they easily cracked especially when the roots are already crowded in the pots and when they are placed directly under the sun. And one thing we always paint our clay pots when they are dirty already and we had a theme color for our garden. It is just a matter of maintaining well your clay pots if you want it to last for a long time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I take great care of all my clay pots. They are like old friends. Plastic ones are just for short term uses till I find that perfect terracotta one. Cuttings get the plastic & plants get the terracotta!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I prefer clay pots since they allow water and air to pass through the walls hence drying out the soil. By drying the soil extra oxygen is absorbed , which activates feeding the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like clay pots but they are heavy and expensive to fit in with me so my pots are plastic containers. It works out better for me since I can't lift a clay pot with dirt in it when I want to move it, and we are talking about good size pots just in case someone wants to correct me :)

Tiny pots that come from the stores, I can handle, but I prefer a big or average pots!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I typically use plastic as they seem to retain moisture better and loose moisture in a more measured way. I do also like the fact that plastic is light weight. I've started coating the inside of my clay pots to see if that will improve the moisture retention. Anything that going to be permanent or semi permanent or highly decorative will usually go in clay pot or wooden barrel.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have never used plastic pots, but I am thinking to make a switch. I want to ditch my clay pots and begin using plastic pots. Clay pots are heavy and difficult to clean. You also need to handle clay post with care because they can break easily. Clay post are only ok for the plants that do not need too much moving or transplanting, for instance bonsai plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am actually torn between plastic and clay pots. Plastic lasts longer since it is not easily broken but there are plastic pots that become deformed by time (maybe due to the heat of the sun). With the clay pot, it gives an organic image that is healthy to the eyes. Right now we are buying plastic pots because it is cheaper but I have plans to getting clay pots for some of our herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Plastic all the way. They last forever, they're lightweight, and many look like the real thing.

Ask a Question